Women's Intro Ski Touring Course
Open the Door to Endless Peaks and Powder
Spend the weekend learning the skills to safely and confidently ski the backcountry in our Women's Intro Ski Touring course. This 2 day course covers backcountry ski touring gear, travel techniques, avalanche awareness, route finding, route planning, whiteout navigation and descent strategies- all the skills needed to access and ski the backcountry. Participants will leave the weekend confident in their ability to join groups of friends in the backcountry, or even lead their own backcountry trips, to ski simple terrain.
Our courses run at a maximum 6:1 student to guide ratio to ensure participants gain as much as possible from the course.
Course Dates: November 30/December 1, December 14/15, January 11/12
Length: 2 Days
Locations: Whistler, BC.
Prerequisites: Advance Ski Ability (comfortable on black diamond terrain).
Highlight Skills: Use of backcountry gear, avalanche safety, group management and ski touring skills.
Season: Scheduled Dates All Winter
Max. Guest to Guide: 6:1
What You Will Learn
This 2 day course covers the skills that make up a confident backcountry skier: the fundamentals of avalanche phenomena/avoidance, backcountry up hill travel, tackling ski lines going down and, of course, how to use that new backcountry set up.
• Companion Rescue
• Understanding Types of Avalanches
• Type of Avalanche Issues
• Understand Geographical Variability
• Safe Travel Up and Down in Avalanche Terrain
• Understanding Avalanche Forecast
• Track Setting, Skin and Ski Line Assessments
Is This for You
This course is great for anyone new to backcountry skiing. Participants who combine this course with an AST 1 course will be primed for accessing simple and challenging backcountry terrain. Although no backcountry experience is required for this course, ski experience is. Participants should be comfortable skiing black diamond runs and have experience skiing powder.
- No Backcountry Experience Needed
- Ability to Ski Black Diamond Runs
- Powder Experience
- Fitness to Walk Up Hill for a Minimum of 3 Hours
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Scheduled Courses 2019 / 2020
November 30, December 1 $325 / person
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to 5% sales tax.
December 14, 15 $325 / person
January 11, 12 $325 / person
8:00 am - Meet at Whistler base, power point presentation, gear, and rescue technique overview
9:00 - Head up the Whistler/Blackcomb lift system and into the backcountry!
4:30 pm - Day wrap up, plan for tomorrow
8:30 am - Upload Whistler or Blackcomb backcountry
5:00 pm - Back to cars
- 2 full days of instruction with ACMG guide
- All technical equipment
- Backcountry Ski Rentals
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment
- Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry Lift Ticket (can be purchased through us for $69/day)
- Avalanche beacon
- Backcountry skis or split-board (skis, skins, poles)
- 30 litre backpack or large enough to carry personal gear
- Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
- Lightweight breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
- Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
- Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
- Warm gloves
- Warm hats
- Balaclava or other types of neck warmer
- Sun screen
- Sun hat
- Ski strap
- Small personal ski repair kit
- Personal first aid, medication
Please arrive in the morning with food and drink for the day.
Making a booking
Greater than 14 days from start date
- 20% deposit is required to secure your guides and or trip. Remaining trip cost is due 14 days
Less than 14 days from start date
- Trip cost must be paid in full
*Subject to change based on particular trip
Forms of payment
Credit card: Visa, Mastercard
Email transfer: email@example.com
Cheque: Only accepted 30 days prior to trip commencement
Greater than 30 days from start date
- Deposit will be refunded in full
30 to 14 days prior to trip commencement
- Deposit amount will be forfeited
Less than 14 days
- Full trip amount will be forfeited
*Subject to change based on particular trip
*All cancellations must be received in writing
Cancellations by Altus Mountain Guides
Upon confirming your booking we guarantee the trip departure. If we cancel a trip for any reason prior to the start date a full refund will be provided. If we are forced to cancel a trip for any reason after the trip start date, a full refund for the unused portion of the trip will be provided.
Trip cancellation insurance
Upon confirmation of your trip Altus Mountain Guides enters into financial obligation and cannot refund payment or release you from your contractual obligation except for condition stated below in “Cancellations” Therefore in an effort to avoid unnecessary cancellation penalties, cancellation insurance is strongly recommended in the event you can not participate or if your trip is interrupted “for any reason”. This is available from most travel companies. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or obtaining insurance.
All participants must have personal internationally accepted medical insurance for all activities pertaining to your trip that also includes emergency rescue and evacuation. With your insurance please ensure you will be covered for “roped travel” if booking a technical trip.
*The required insurance depends on location
- Insurance is free in entire country
- Private insurance is recommended
- Mountain climbing rescue is free
Switzerland, Italy, Austria
- Privates or alpine club insurance is required.
*Europe: We recommend the following: Austrian alpine club membership, REGA
Longer & more involved routes may have additional premiums, driving, accommodation,& food costs are trip dependent.
Please contact us for details and a full quote.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!