Steeps and Peaks
Skills to Get up Big Mountains and down Steep Faces
Our 2 day Ski Mountaineering course is the complete program to take backcountry skiing to the next level. This course will focus on skills for safe skiing in remote heavily glaciated terrain, route planning, glacier travel, steep mountain faces, technical ascents/descents, advanced avalanche training and whiteout navigation.
Our courses run at a maximum 6:1 Student to Guide Ratio to ensure participants gain as much as possible from the course.
Course Dates: December 15/16, January 5/6, February 16/17, March 9/10 and March 30/31
Length: 2 Days
Locations: Whistler, BC.
Prerequisites: AST 1 (or equivalent), alpine ski touring experience and strong ski ability (double black diamond runs).
Highlight Skills: Training on glaciated terrain, accessing steep ski lines and navigation.
Season: Scheduled Dates All Winter
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 6:1
What You Will Learn
Our Steeps and Peaks course focuses on travelling in alpine terrain and skiing interesting lines safely. This course focuses on glaciology, steep snow faces, avalanche assessment and group dynamics.
Understanding required gear
Understanding glacier, alpine environment, crevasse formation, bergschrund formation.
Roping up for glacier travel, up/down
White out navigation
Day 2 – Alpine objective
- Route planning
- Snow stability forecasting
- Steep snow climbing/descending
- Steep ski techniques
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is This for You
This 2 day action packed course is geared for skiers and riders who already have a strong understanding of ski touring techniques. The ideal participant is motivated to learn safe and efficient ski mountaineering techniques as well as have an understanding on how they wish to apply these skills in the future.
Ski Touring Experience
Understanding with Climbing Knots and Gear
Understanding of Alpine Ski Routes they would like to accomplish
- Strong Ski Ability
Scheduled Courses 2018 / 2019
December 15, 16 $325 / person
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to 5% sales tax.
January 5, 6 $325 / person
February 16, 17 $325 / person
March 9, 10 $325 / person
March 30, 31 $325 / person
8:00am- Meet & Greet at the base of Whistler Blackcomb
9:00-4:00pm- Backcountry skiing/ riding
4pm- Back to the cars for debriefing & high fives
- 2 Full days of Instruction with ACMG Guide
- All Technical Equipment (harness, crevasse rescue and group gear)
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment (we can supply rentals if necessary $30/day)
- Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry Lift Ticket
- Avalanche beacon
- Backcountry skis or split-board (skis, skins, poles)
- General mountaineering axe (steel) I will have a couple on hand as well
- 30 litre backpack or large enough to carry personal and some group gear
- Rope - We will provide but feel free to bring what ever rope you would be using personally, so you can practice with it.
Crevasse rescue kit
- 1 x 1.5m 7mm cord
- 2 x 5m 7mm cord
- 2 x should length sling
- 4 locking carabiners
- 2 non-looking carabiner
- Belay device
- Pulley (optional)
- Ice screw (16cm min)
- Ski strap
We have lots of extra gear so don’t feel you need to bring all the crevasse gear.
- Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
- Lightweight breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
- Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
- Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
- Warm gloves
- Warm hats
- Balaclava or other types of neck warmer
- Sun screen
- Sun hat
- Ski strap
- Small personal ski repair kit
- Personal first aid, medication
Please arrive in the morning with food and drink for the day.
Making a booking
Greater than 14 days from start date
- 20% deposit is required to secure your guides and or trip. Remaining trip cost is due 14 days
Less than 14 days from start date
- Trip cost must be paid in full
*Subject to change based on particular trip
Forms of payment
Credit card: Visa, Mastercard
Email transfer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheque: Only accepted 30 days prior to trip commencement
Greater than 30 days from start date
- Deposit will be refunded in full
30 to 14 days prior to trip commencement
- Deposit amount will be forfeited
Less than 14 days
- Full trip amount will be forfeited
*Subject to change based on particular trip
*All cancellations must be received in writing
Cancellations by Altus Mountain Guides
Upon confirming your booking we guarantee the trip departure. If we cancel a trip for any reason prior to the start date a full refund will be provided. If we are forced to cancel a trip for any reason after the trip start date, a full refund for the unused portion of the trip will be provided.
Trip cancellation insurance
Upon confirmation of your trip Altus Mountain Guides enters into financial obligation and cannot refund payment or release you from your contractual obligation except for condition stated below in “Cancellations” Therefore in an effort to avoid unnecessary cancellation penalties, cancellation insurance is strongly recommended in the event you can not participate or if your trip is interrupted “for any reason”. This is available from most travel companies. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or obtaining insurance.
All participants must have personal internationally accepted medical insurance for all activities pertaining to your trip that also includes emergency rescue and evacuation. With your insurance please ensure you will be covered for “roped travel” if booking a technical trip.
*The required insurance depends on location
- Insurance is free in entire country
- Private insurance is recommended
- Mountain climbing rescue is free
Switzerland, Italy, Austria
- Privates or alpine club insurance is required.
*Europe: We recommend the following: Austrian alpine club membership, REGA
Longer & more involved routes may have additional premiums, driving, accommodation,& food costs are trip dependent.
Please contact us for details and a full quote.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!