Chamonix Steep Skiing
Skills to Get up Big Mountains and down Steep Faces
Chamonix is the epicentre of steep skiing, with easy access to wild glaciated mountains above 4000m - this is the place to hone your skills and take your skiing to the next level.
Join us for a week based out of Chamonix, France learning the craft of big mountain steep skiing and putting it to practice in the real big mountain terrain.
Participants are required to submit a resume to be accepted into this course.
Length: 7 Days
Location: Chamonix France
Prerequisites: AST 1 (or equivalent), alpine ski touring experience and very strong ski ability (double black diamond runs)
Highlight Skills: Learning how to approach steep glaciated terrain, ski mountaineering, steep skiing
Season: April 8 - 14, 2020
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 4:1
What You Will Learn
Our Chamonix Steep Skiing course focuses on travelling in alpine terrain and skiing interesting lines safely. As an advanced-level course, we will also focus on student leads so the guide can offer direct feedback to participants and target learning to the students skill set.
- Advanced terrain recognition skills and applying snow pack characteristics to that terrain.
- Safe mountain travel technique
- Anchor Building
- Safe Cornice control
- Rope ascension
- Crevasse rescue
- Belaying for steep snow travel on mountain faces or ridges
- Cliff mitigation
- Sluff control
- Steep Skiing tactics
- Self-preservation tactics in extreme terrain
- Advanced snowpack characteristic recognition and quick stability assessment checks
- Whiteout navigation
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is This for You
This program is designed for avid ski touring individuals who want to step up their Steep skiing and riding skills by getting into the complex, or even extreme, terrain.
Excellent Ski Ability
100 + Days of Ski Touring
- AST 2 or Equivalent
- Good Fitness (ability to ski tour back to back 1500m days)
Scheduled Courses 2019 / 2020
April 14 - 20, 2020 €2100 / person
All listed prices are in EUR and subject to 5% sales tax.
- 7 Full Days of Instruction with IFMGA Guide
- All Technical Equipment (harness, crevasse rescue and group gear)
- 7-nights accommodation
- All lift passes during trip
- Transport to and from Chamonix (from Geneva airport)
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment
- Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner
- Rescue insurance
- Avalanche beacon
- Backcountry skis or split-board (skis, skins, poles)
- General mountaineering axe (steel) I will have a couple on hand as well
- 30 litre backpack or large enough to carry personal and some group gear
- Rope - We will provide but feel free to bring what ever rope you would be using personally, so you can practice with it.
Crevasse rescue kit
- 1 x 1.5m 7mm cord
- 2 x 5m 7mm cord
- 2 x should length sling
- 4 locking carabiners
- 2 non-looking carabiner
- Belay device
- Pulley (optional)
- Ice screw (16cm min)
- Ski strap
We have lots of extra gear so don’t feel you need to bring all the crevasse gear.
- Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
- Lightweight breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
- Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
- Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
- Warm gloves
- Warm hats
- Balaclava or other types of neck warmer
- Sun screen
- Sun hat
- Ski strap
- Small personal ski repair kit
- Personal first aid, medication
Please arrive in the morning with food and drink for the day.
Making a booking
Greater than 14 days from start date
- 20% deposit is required to secure your guides and or trip. Remaining trip cost is due 14 days
Less than 14 days from start date
- Trip cost must be paid in full
*Subject to change based on particular trip
Forms of payment
Credit card: Visa, Mastercard
Email transfer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheque: Only accepted 30 days prior to trip commencement
Greater than 30 days from start date
- Deposit will be refunded in full
30 to 14 days prior to trip commencement
- Deposit amount will be forfeited
Less than 14 days
- Full trip amount will be forfeited
*Subject to change based on particular trip
*All cancellations must be received in writing
Cancellations by Altus Mountain Guides
Upon confirming your booking we guarantee the trip departure. If we cancel a trip for any reason prior to the start date a full refund will be provided. If we are forced to cancel a trip for any reason after the trip start date, a full refund for the unused portion of the trip will be provided.
Trip cancellation insurance
Upon confirmation of your trip Altus Mountain Guides enters into financial obligation and cannot refund payment or release you from your contractual obligation except for condition stated below in “Cancellations” Therefore in an effort to avoid unnecessary cancellation penalties, cancellation insurance is strongly recommended in the event you can not participate or if your trip is interrupted “for any reason”. This is available from most travel companies. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or obtaining insurance.
All participants must have personal internationally accepted medical insurance for all activities pertaining to your trip that also includes emergency rescue and evacuation. With your insurance please ensure you will be covered for “roped travel” if booking a technical trip.
*The required insurance depends on location
- Insurance is free in entire country
- Private insurance is recommended
- Mountain climbing rescue is free
Switzerland, Italy, Austria
- Privates or alpine club insurance is required.
*Europe: We recommend the following: Austrian alpine club membership, REGA
Longer & more involved routes may have additional premiums, driving, accommodation,& food costs are trip dependent.
Please contact us for details and a full quote.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!