Intro Backcountry Touring Course
Open the Door to a World of Backcountry Adventures
Learn how to take your downhill skills into the backcountry, where the fun really happens. Our 2-day Backcountry Touring Intro course introduces participants to backcountry ski/split touring gear, travel techniques, avalanche awareness, route finding, route planning, whiteout navigation and descent strategies. Participants will leave the weekend confident in their ability to join friends or lead trips in simple backcountry terrain. This is also the perfect course for those wishing to spend more time on technique before diving into our AST 1+ Course.
Our courses run at a maximum of 6:1 student to guide ratio to ensure participants gain as much as possible from the course.
Course Dates: November 28/29, December 5, 6, December 12/13, January 9/10, January 30/31, and February 20/21.
We offer an online course as well. For more information click here.
Length: 2 Days
Locations: Whistler, BC.
Prerequisites: Intermediate to advance ski ability and experience skiing powder.
Highlight Skills: Use of backcountry ski gear, companion rescue, up hill-climbing, powder skiing techniques and mountain hazards evaluation.
Season: Scheduled Dates All Winter
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 6:1
What You Will Learn
This 2-day course covers the skills that make up a confident backcountry skier/split-boarder: the fundamentals of avalanche phenomena/avoidance, uphill backcountry travel, tackling lines and, of course, how to use that new backcountry setup.
• Companion Rescue
• Understanding Types of Avalanches
• Type of Avalanche Issues
• Understand Geographical Variability
• Safe Travel Up and Down in Avalanche Terrain
• Understanding Avalanche Forecast
• Track Setting, Skin and Line Assessments
Is This For You
This course is great for anyone new to backcountry touring. Participants who pair this course with an AST 1 course will be primed to access simple and challenging backcountry terrain. Although no backcountry experience is required for this course, ski/board experience is. Participants should be comfortable riding black diamond runs and have experience riding powder.
- No backcountry experience needed
- Ability to ride black diamond runs
- Powder experience
- Fitness to walk uphill for a minimum of 3 Hours
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Scheduled Courses - 2020/2021
November 28, 29 $315 / person
All prices are in CAD dollar and subject to 5% sales tax
December 5, 6 $315 / person
December 12, 13 $315 / person
January 5, 6 $315 / person
January 9, 10 $315 / person
February 20, 21 $315 / person
8:00 am - Meet at Whistler base, PowerPoint presentation, gear, and rescue technique overview
9:00 - Head up the Whistler/Blackcomb lift system and into the backcountry!
4:30 pm - Day wrap up, plan for tomorrow
8:30 am - Upload Whistler or Blackcomb backcountry
5:00 pm - Back to cars
- 2 Full days of Instruction with ACMG Guide
- All Technical Equipment
- Backcountry Ski Rentals
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment (we can supply rentals if necessary)
- Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry Lift Ticket
- Avalanche beacon
- Backcountry skis or split-board (skis, skins, poles)
- 30-litre backpack or large enough to carry personal gear
- Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
- Lightweight, breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
- Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
- Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
- Warm gloves
- Warm hats
- Balaclava or other types of neck warmer
- Sun hat
- Ski strap
- Small personal ski repair kit
- Personal first aid, medication
Please arrive in the morning with food and drink for the day.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!