Crucial Skills to get Yourself out of a Pickle!
Rock Rescue skills are essential for any rock climber who ventures into multi-pitch terrain! High angle rock rescue skills are the focus of this intensive single-day course. Learn the skills to help yourself, your partner or an adjacent party halfway up a multi-pitch route.
The rock rescue course is designed to give climbers the skills to carry out simple rock rescues in single and multi-pitch terrain. Primarily focusing on the art of technical descents, lowers and raises systems.
Free online course
In addition to our in the field course, all students will have access to our online course so you can study up before you head out into the field to retain more. Or to watch again to refresh your skills afterward.
Length: 1 Day
Locations: Squamish, BC.
Meeting point: The Squamish Adventure Centre
Prerequisites: Experience Trad and Multi-Pitch climbing.
Highlight Skills: Advanced anchor systems, haul systems, improvised lowering and rappelling
Season: Scheduled Dates All Summer
Max. Guest to Guide: 4:1
What You Will Learn
- The necessary gear required for rescue technique
- Advanced anchor building
- How to escape the belay
- Haul 3:1, 6:1, Block and Tackle
- Lowers: redirect, munter and knot pass
- Counterbalance rappel and Tram
- Improvised rappel anchors/ system
- Improvised first-aid and rescue response
Fantastic mountain guides whom I would come back to anytime. My experience with Altus has been on three different occasions: ice climbing, ski touring and mountaineering, and each time had an awesome adventure. Their guides are extremely knowledgeable, inspiring, thorough, and able to cater to individuals' preferences and needs.
- Dora V
Kyle was an excellent and patient instructor.. took a rock rescue course and was impressed with the depth of knowledge and attention to multiple rigging options that he showed us. Kyle has a great attitude and made the day fun and approachable.
- Antonio F
Is This for You?
If you are climbing multi-pitch routes or leading single pitch routes, Rock Rescue Skills are crucial to have in your repertoire in case of an accident in either your party or an adjacent team.
- Previous Multi-Pitch Climbing experience
- Proficiency with Belaying
- Proficiency with Climbing Knots and Gear
- Figure 8, Munter, Clove Hitch, Fishermans Knots
- Excellent Gear Placements
- Understanding of Multi-Pitch Systems: Ascent and Rappel
Scheduled Courses - 2021
April 18 $175 / person
All prices are in CAD dollar and subject to 5% sales tax
May 2 $175 / person
May 23 $175 / person
June 8 $175 / person
June 20 $175 / person
July 4 $175 / person
July 25 $175 / person
August 8 $175 / person
August 22 $175 / person
August 29 $175 / person
Custom Dates on Demand
8:30 am - Meet and greet at the Squamish Adventure Center
9:00 am - Travel to Smoke Bluff park and head out to the crag (two-minute drive, ten-minute hike)
9:00 am - 4:00 pm - Climbing, learning, and high fives.
4:30 pm - Back to the cars for debriefing and more high fives
- 1 full day of instruction with ACMG guide
- All technical equipment (shoes, harness, helmet and group gear)
- Transportation to and from the meeting point
Please come prepared to spend the whole day outside in all types of weather. It can be anything from cold in the morning as you will be climbing in the shade to very hot in the sun!
- Full pants or Capris.
- T-shirt or long sleeve
- Warm jacket (sweatshirt, lightweight down jacket)
- Rain/wind jacket (gore-tex)
- Warm hat (for colder days)
- Small backpack (30 litres)
- Good shoes; running/gym shoes are fine
- Water, 1 litre
- Harness, Helmet, Climbing shoes (let us know if you need rentals)
Please arrive in the morning with food and drink for the day. This is also available for purchase at the Adventure center
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!