Rock Rescue Course
Crucial Skills to get Yourself out of a Pickle!
Rock Rescue Skills are essential for any rock climber who ventures into multi-pitch terrain! High angle rock rescue skills are the focus of this intensive single day course. Learn the skills to help yourself, your partner or an adjacent party half way up a multi-pitch route.
The rock rescue course is designed to give climbers the skills to carry out simple rock rescues in single and multi-pitch terrain. Primarily focusing on the art of technical descents, lowers and raise systems.
Length: 1 Day
Locations: Squamish, BC.
Meeting point: The Squamish Adventure Centre
Prerequisites: Experience Trad and Multi-Pitch climbing.
Highlight Skills: Advanced anchor systems, haul systems, improvised lowering and rappelling
Season: Scheduled Dates All Summer
Max. Guest to Guide: 4:1
What You Will Learn
- The necessary gear required for rescue technique
- Advanced anchor building
- How to escape the belay
- Haul 3:1, 6:1, Block and Tackle
- Lowers: redirect, munter and knot pass
- Counter balance rappel and Tram
- Improvised rappel anchors/ system
- Improvised first-aid and rescue response
I contacted five companies about setting up a custom mountaineering trip and Altus immediately got back to me with all sorts of helpful, informative details. They were much easier and better to work with than all the other companies.
- Michele G
I felt safe and secure, and I learned a ton. Great objective, great weather, great food, and great company - it doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is This for You
If you are climbing multi-pitch routes, or leading single pitch routes, Rock Rescue Skills are crucial to have in your repertoire in case of an accident in either your party or an adjacent team.
- Previous Multi Pitch Climbing experience
- Proficiency with Belaying
- Proficiency with Climbing Knots and Gear
- Figure 8, Munter, Clove Hitch, Fishermans Knots
- Excellent Gear Placements
- Understanding of Multi-Pitch Systems: Ascent and Rappel
Scheduled Courses - 2019
April 7 $165 / person
All prices are in CAD dollar and subject to 5% sales tax
April 14 $165 / person
May 12 $165 / person
May 26 $165 / person
June 9 $165 / person
June 23 $165 / person
July 7 $165 / person
July 21 $165 / person
August 4 $165 / person
August 18 $165 / person
September 1 $165 / person
Custom Dates on Demand
8:30 am - Meet and greet at the Squamish Adventure Center
9:00 am - Travel to Smoke Bluff park and head out to the crag (two-minute drive, ten-minute hike)
9:00 am - 4:00 pm - Climbing, learning, and high fives.
4:30 pm - Back to the cars for debriefing and more high fives
- 1 full day of instruction with ACMG guide
- All technical equipment (shoes, harness, helmet and group gear)
- Transportation to and from meeting point
Please come prepared to spend the whole days outside in all types of weather. It can be anything from cold in the morning as you will be climbing in the shade to very hot in the sun!
- Full pants or Capris.
- T-shirt or long sleeve
- Warm jacket (sweat shirt, lightweight down jacket)
- Rain/wind jacket (gore-tex)
- Warm hat (for colder days)
- Small back pack (30 litres)
- Good shoes; running/gym shoes are fine
- Water, 1 liter
- Harness, Helmet, Climbing shoes (let us know if you need rentals)
Please arrive in the morning with food and drink for the day. This is also available for purchase at the Adventure center
Making a booking
Greater than 14 days from start date
- 20% deposit is required to secure your guides and or trip. Remaining trip cost is due 14 days
Less than 14 days from start date
- Trip cost must be paid in full
*Subject to change based on particular trip
Forms of payment
Credit card: Visa, Mastercard
Email transfer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheque: Only accepted 30 days prior to trip commencement
Greater than 30 days from start date
- Deposit will be refunded in full
30 to 14 days prior to trip commencement
- Deposit amount will be forfeited
Less than 14 days
- Full trip amount will be forfeited
*Subject to change based on particular trip
*All cancellations must be received in writing
Cancellations by Altus Mountain Guides
Upon confirming your booking we guarantee the trip departure. If we cancel a trip for any reason prior to the start date a full refund will be provided. If we are forced to cancel a trip for any reason after the trip start date, a full refund for the unused portion of the trip will be provided. Reasons for Altus canceling a trip include, but are not limited to: unsafe conditions, guide injury, and/or guide illness.
Trip cancellation insurance
Upon confirmation of your trip Altus Mountain Guides enters into financial obligation and cannot refund payment or release you from your contractual obligation except for condition stated below in “Cancellations” Therefore in an effort to avoid unnecessary cancellation penalties, cancellation insurance is strongly recommended in the event you can not participate or if your trip is interrupted “for any reason”. This is available from most travel companies. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or obtaining insurance.
All participants must have personal internationally accepted medical insurance for all activities pertaining to your trip that also includes emergency rescue and evacuation. With your insurance please ensure you will be covered for “roped travel” if booking a technical trip.
*The required insurance depends on location
- Insurance is free in entire country
- Private insurance is recommended
- Mountain climbing rescue is free
Switzerland, Italy, Austria
- Privates or alpine club insurance is required.
*Europe: We recommend the following: Austrian alpine club membership, REGA
Longer & more involved routes may have additional premiums, driving, accommodation,& food costs are trip dependent.
Please contact us for details and a full quote.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!