Rock Evolution Course
All the Need to Know Rock Skills in One Tight Package
Everything you need to know to confidently tackle a wide range of climbing objectives all over the world. Our Rock Evolution course is designed to take a new climber with limited to no outdoor experience through the evolution of rock climbing: top rope anchors, sport climbing, trad climbing, multi-pitch skills and finally rock rescue all in a safe progressive manner.
Length: 4 Days
Locations: Squamish, BC.
Meeting point: The Squamish Adventure Centre
Highlight Skills: Top Rope Anchors, Sport Climbing, Intro to Trad Climbing, Intro to Multi-Pitch Climbing & Rock Rescue
Season: Scheduled Dates All Summer
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 4:1
What You Will Learn
This 4 day course is designed for participants with zero- to minimal rock climbing experience. Participants will cover top-rope climbing, sport climbing trad climbing and multi-pitch climbing, as well as perform a simple rock rescue.
Day 1 – Top Rope + Sport Climbing
- Route selections macro and micro
- Crag hazard recognition and mitigation
- Bolt evaluation
- Threading anchor for rappel
- Safe rappelling
- Setting up a top rope anchor system
Day 2 – Traditional Gear Climbing
- Protection placement and assessment (cams, nuts)
- Anchor Systems
- Safe retreating
- Lead tactics
- Supervised practice
Day 3 – Multi Pitch Climbing
- Advanced anchor building
- Different methods of top down belays
- Belay management
- Efficiency: climbing and change overs
- Multi-pitch rappelling
- Supervised multi-pitch climb
Day 4 – Rock Rescue
- Escape Belay Haul: 3:1, 6:1, Block and Tackle
- Lower: redirect, munter, knot pass
- Counterbalance rappel, Tram
- Improvised rappel anchors/system
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is This for You
If you have logged some time in the climbing gym and are ready to catapult your climbing skills to become a full-fledged outdoor rock climber- this is for you!
- No previous outdoor rock climbing experience
- Have top roped 5.6 as a minimum (in the gym)
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 3 hours
- Can hike 1 hour in gentle uphill terrain
- Likes being outside
Scheduled Courses - 2020
May 21 - 24 $590 / person
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to 5% sales tax.
June 6 - 9 $590 / person
July 2 - 5 $590 / person
July 23 - 26 $590 / person
August 6 - 9 $590 / person
August 20 - 23 $590 / person
8:00 am - Meet and greet at the Squamish Adventure Center
8:30 am - Travel to Smoke Bluff park and head out to the crag (two-minute drive, ten-minute hike)
9:00 am - 4:00 pm - Climbing, learning, and high fives.
4:30 pm - Back to the cars for debriefing and more high fives
- 4 full days of instruction with ACMG guide
- All technical equipment (shoes, harness, helmet and group gear)
- Transportation to and from meeting point
Please come prepared to spend the whole days outside in all types of weather. It can be anything from cold in the morning as you will be climbing in the shade to very hot in the sun!
- Full pants or Capris.
- T-shirt or long sleeve
- Warm jacket (sweat shirt, lightweight down jacket)
- Rain/wind jacket (gore-tex)
- Warm hat (for colder days)
- Small back pack (30 litres)
- Good shoes; running/gym shoes are fine
- Water, 1 liter
- Harness, Helmet, Climbing shoes (let us know if you need rentals)
Please arrive in the morning with food and drink for the day. This is also available for purchase at the Adventure center
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!