Rock Evolution Course
All the Need to Know Rock Skills in One Tight Package
Everything you need to know to confidently tackle a wide range of climbing objectives all over the world. Our Rock Evolution course is designed to take a new climber with limited to no outdoor experience through the evolution of rock climbing: top rope anchors, sport climbing, trad climbing, multi-pitch skills and finally rock rescue all in a safe progressive manner.
Length: 4 Days
Locations: Squamish, BC.
Meeting point: The Squamish Adventure Centre
Highlight Skills: Top Rope Anchors, Sport Climbing, Intro to Trad Climbing, Intro to Multi-Pitch Climbing & Rock Rescue
Season: Scheduled Dates All Summer
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 4:1
What You Will Learn
This 4 day course is designed for participants with zero- to minimal rock climbing experience. Participants will cover top-rope climbing, sport climbing trad climbing and multi-pitch climbing, as well as perform a simple rock rescue.
Day 1 – Top Rope + Sport Climbing
- Route selections macro and micro
- Crag hazard recognition and mitigation
- Bolt evaluation
- Threading anchor for rappel
- Safe rappelling
- Setting up a top rope anchor system
Day 2 – Traditional Gear Climbing
- Protection placement and assessment (cams, nuts)
- Anchor Systems
- Safe retreating
- Lead tactics
- Supervised practice
Day 3 – Multi Pitch Climbing
- Advanced anchor building
- Different methods of top down belays
- Belay management
- Efficiency: climbing and change overs
- Multi-pitch rappelling
- Supervised multi-pitch climb
Day 4 – Rock Rescue
- Escape Belay Haul: 3:1, 6:1, Block and Tackle
- Lower: redirect, munter, knot pass
- Counterbalance rappel, Tram
- Improvised rappel anchors/system
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is This for You
If you have logged some time in the climbing gym and are ready to catapult your climbing skills to become a full-fledged outdoor rock climber- this is for you!
- No previous outdoor rock climbing experience
- Have top roped 5.6 as a minimum (in the gym)
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 3 hours
- Can hike 1 hour in gentle uphill terrain
- Likes being outside
Scheduled Courses - 2019
May 2 - 5 $590 / person
May 25 - 28 $590 / person
June 8 - 11 $590 / person
July 4 - 7 $590 / person
July 25 - 28 $590 / person
August 8 - 11 $590 / person
August 22 - 25 $590 / person
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to %5 sales tax.
8:30 am - Meet and greet at the Squamish Adventure Center
9:00 am - Travel to Smoke Bluff park and head out to the crag (two-minute drive, ten-minute hike)
9:00 am - 4:00 pm - Climbing, learning, and high fives.
4:30 pm - Back to the cars for debriefing and more high fives
- 4 full days of instruction with ACMG guide
- All technical equipment (shoes, harness, helmet and group gear)
- Transportation to and from meeting point
Please come prepared to spend the whole days outside in all types of weather. It can be anything from cold in the morning as you will be climbing in the shade to very hot in the sun!
- Full pants or Capris.
- T-shirt or long sleeve
- Warm jacket (sweat shirt, lightweight down jacket)
- Rain/wind jacket (gore-tex)
- Warm hat (for colder days)
- Small back pack (30 litres)
- Good shoes; running/gym shoes are fine
- Water, 1 liter
- Harness, Helmet, Climbing shoes (let us know if you need rentals)
Please arrive in the morning with food and drink for the day. This is also available for purchase at the Adventure center
Making a booking
Greater than 14 days from start date
- 20% deposit is required to secure your guides and or trip. Remaining trip cost is due 14 days
Less than 14 days from start date
- Trip cost must be paid in full
*Subject to change based on particular trip
Forms of payment
Credit card: Visa, Mastercard
Email transfer: email@example.com
Cheque: Only accepted 30 days prior to trip commencement
Greater than 30 days from start date
- Deposit will be refunded in full
30 to 14 days prior to trip commencement
- Deposit amount will be forfeited
Less than 14 days
- Full trip amount will be forfeited
*Subject to change based on particular trip
*All cancellations must be received in writing
Cancellations by Altus Mountain Guides
Upon confirming your booking we guarantee the trip departure. If we cancel a trip for any reason prior to the start date a full refund will be provided. If we are forced to cancel a trip for any reason after the trip start date, a full refund for the unused portion of the trip will be provided. Reasons for Altus canceling a trip include, but are not limited to: unsafe conditions, guide injury, and/or guide illness.
Trip cancellation insurance
Upon confirmation of your trip Altus Mountain Guides enters into financial obligation and cannot refund payment or release you from your contractual obligation except for condition stated below in “Cancellations” Therefore in an effort to avoid unnecessary cancellation penalties, cancellation insurance is strongly recommended in the event you can not participate or if your trip is interrupted “for any reason”. This is available from most travel companies. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or obtaining insurance.
All participants must have personal internationally accepted medical insurance for all activities pertaining to your trip that also includes emergency rescue and evacuation. With your insurance please ensure you will be covered for “roped travel” if booking a technical trip.
*The required insurance depends on location
- Insurance is free in entire country
- Private insurance is recommended
- Mountain climbing rescue is free
Switzerland, Italy, Austria
- Privates or alpine club insurance is required.
*Europe: We recommend the following: Austrian alpine club membership, REGA
Longer & more involved routes may have additional premiums, driving, accommodation,& food costs are trip dependent.
Please contact us for details and a full quote.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!