All the Need to Know Rock Skills in One Tight Package
Everything you need to know to confidently tackle a wide range of climbing objectives all over the world. Our Rock Evolution course is designed to take a new climber with limited to no outdoor experience through the evolution of rock climbing: top rope anchors, sport climbing, trad climbing, multi-pitch skills and finally rock rescue, all in a safe, progressive manner.
Length: 4 Days
Locations: Squamish, BC.
Meeting point: The Squamish Adventure Centre
Highlight Skills: Top Rope Anchors, Sport Climbing, Intro to Trad Climbing, Intro to Multi-Pitch Climbing & Rock Rescue
Season: Scheduled Dates All Summer
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 4:1
What You Will Learn
This 4-day course is designed for participants with zero- to minimal rock climbing experience. Participants will cover top-rope climbing, sport climbing trad climbing and multi-pitch climbing and perform a simple rock rescue.
Day 1 – Top Rope + Sport Climbing
- Route selections macro and micro
- Crag hazard recognition and mitigation
- Bolt evaluation
- Threading anchor for the rappel
- Safe rappelling
- Setting up a top rope anchor system
Day 2 – Traditional Gear Climbing
- Protection placement and assessment (cams, nuts)
- Anchor Systems
- Safe retreating
- Lead tactics
- Supervised practice
Day 3 – Multi-Pitch Climbing
- Advanced anchor building
- Different methods of top-down belays
- Belay management
- Efficiency: climbing and changeovers
- Multi-pitch rappelling
- Supervised multi-pitch climb
Day 4 – Rock Rescue
- Escape Belay Haul: 3:1, 6:1, Block and Tackle
- Lower: redirect, munter, knot pass
- Counterbalance rappel, Tram
- Improvised rappel anchors/system
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is This for You?
If you have logged some time in the climbing gym and are ready to catapult your climbing skills to become a full-fledged outdoor rock climber- this is for you!
- No previous outdoor rock climbing experience
- Have top-roped 5.6 as a minimum (in the gym)
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 3 hours
- Can hike 1 hour in gentle uphill terrain
- Likes being outside
Scheduled Courses - 2021
April 29 - May 2 $590 / person
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to 5% sales tax.
May 20 - 23 $590 / person
June 5 - 8 $590 / person
July 1 - 4 $590 / person
July 22 - 25 $590 / person
August 5 - 8 $590 / person
August 19 - 22 $590 / person
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!