The unforgettable sea to skyline traverse
The Tantalus traverse is the iconic skyline of the sea to sky area. This 2 days traverse travels over steep granite rock, and wild glaciers all with stunning views of the sea to sky valley and out to the Georgia straight. To keep our packs light we will start with a helicopter flight to the Serratus/Dione col to stash our overnight equipment and dinner. Next, we will head to the north side of the might Mount Tantalus, and start climbing. A full day surfing the ridge of Tantalus and Dione will bring us to our resting place for the evening. With views from Whistler, Nanaimo to Vancouver this is an unforgettable place to spend the night under the stars. Our second day of the trip takes us up and over Mount Sereratus and Alpha before hitching and a helicopter ride back down to Squamish.
Hands down, one of the best alpine outings in the world.
Length: 2 days
Starting point: Squamish, BC.
Summit Elevation: 2590M (8497ft)
Season: June 1 - September 1
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 2:1
Style of Climbing: Steep snow and ice
Cost: Starting at $1245 per person
- Guide’s fees
- Group equipment
- Two days of lunch
- One breakfast, one dinner
- Helicopter flight - return
- Photos of the climb
- Pre and post valley accommodation
- Sleeping bag + mat
- Use of mountaineering boots
- Boots – full-leather, They should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or similar
- Sleeping bag – good to approx. -5 or -10 degrees Celsius
- Sleeping pad – therma-rest style or closed-cell foam
- Backpack – 40-80 litre capacity
- Summit-pack – 20-40 litre capacity (Optional)
- Outer layer jacket with hood – Gore-Tex style
- Light weight outer layer waterproof pants – Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight thermal layers – top & bottom, Polypro, Icebreaker, etc.
- Climbing/hiking pants – nylon, fleece, Schoeller, etc. (1 pair)
- Gloves (medium weight) – wool or poly-pro (2 pair)
- Waterproof gloves or mitts (gloves work best) (2 pairs)
- Warm parka/jacket – down, synthetic, fleece or pile (1)
- Sweater or vest – wool, synthetic, fleece or down (1)
- Socks – wool or synthetic blend (2-3 pairs)
- Toque/warm hat – wool or fleece (1)
- Sunglasses – UV block with good eye coverage (1pr)
- Ski goggles
- Headlamp with new batteries
- Personal 1st aid (blister kit, toothbrush, blister kit, toilet paper, etc.)
- Misc. personal items (camera, journal, etc.)
- Sunscreen – minimum spf45
- Water bottles/hydration system – minimum 1 liters
- Walking pole(s) – Optional but helpful for the approach/descent
- Gaiters (1 pair) – Optional if built in paint gaiters or boot gaiters
Communal equipment: (supplied by Altus if required)
Is this for you?
This is a moderate alpine route that requires moving quickly. Ideal for those who have several alpine ascents and good fittness
- Previous rock climbing experience, in the gym or outside
- Have top-roped 5.9 as a minimum
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 6 hours
- Likes being outside
Day 1: An early meeting at the Squamish Airport for our flight up to the Serratus/Dione col to stash our overnight equipment and dinner. Next, we will head to the north side of the might Mount Tantalus, and start climbing. A full day surfing the ridge of Tantalus and Dione will bring us to our resting place for the evening. With views from Whistler, Nanaimo to Vancouver this is an unforgettable place to spend the night under the stars.
Day 2: Our second day of the trip takes us up and over Mount Sereratus and Alpha before hitching and a helicopter ride back down to Squamish. Expect to be back in Squamish around 3 pm
*Contact us for custom dates, duration and included costs
Elevation gain: 2000m
Total distance: 15km
Climb steepness: 45 - 55 degrees
Max Grade: 5.6
Scheduled Trips 2021
June 26, 27 $1245 / person
July 10, 11 $1245 / person
July 14, 15 $1245 / person
July 24, 25 $1245 / person
August 7, 8 $1245 / person
Custom Dates contact us
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!