Sky Pilot Summit
Local Lift Accessed Alpine
At 2,031 meters (6663 feet), Sky Pilot provides a great introduction to the Alpine right in the backyard of Squamish and Vancouver, BC. Sky Pilot and the Stadium Glacier are quickly accessed by the new Sea to Sky Gondola. Riding the Gondola saves hours of approach time with almost a vertical kilometer of elevation gain (2800 feet) which allows for quick access to the Alpine. This area is great for one day or three day adventure boasting amazing views and a big mountain feel.
Length: 1 or More Days
Starting Point: Squamish, BC.
Summit Elevation: 2031m (6663ft)
Season: May 15 - October 15
Max. Guide to Guest Ratio: 2:1
Style of Climbing: Steep snow and rock
Cost: Starting at $350 per person
- Guide’s fees
- Group equipment
- Technical gear rentals (Harness, Helmet, Axe, Crampons)
- Photos of the climb
- Pre and post valley accommodation
- Use of mountaineering boots
- Lift Ticket up the Gondola (Sea to Sky Gondola Tickets & Passes)
- Boots – full-leather, They should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or similar
- Backpack – 20-30 litre capacity
- Outer layer jacket with hood – Gore-Tex style
- Light weight outer layer waterproof pants – Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight thermal layers – top & bottom, Polypro, Icebreaker, etc.
- Climbing/hiking pants – nylon, fleece, Schoeller, etc. (1 pair)
- Gloves (medium weight) – wool or poly-pro (2 pair)
- Waterproof gloves or mitts (gloves work best) (2 pairs)
- Warm parka/jacket – down, synthetic, fleece or pile (1)
- Sweater or vest – wool, synthetic, fleece or down (1)
- Socks – wool or synthetic blend (2-3 pairs)
- Toque/warm hat – wool or fleece (1)
- Sunglasses – UV block with good eye coverage (1pr)
- Headlamp with new batteries
- Personal 1st aid (blister kit, toothbrush, blister kit, toilet paper, etc.)
- Misc. personal items (camera, journal, etc.)
- Sunscreen – minimum spf45
- Water bottles/hydration system – minimum 1 liters
- Walking pole(s) – Optional but helpful for the approach/descent
Is this for you?
The number one questions we get from our guest is "are they ready for a multi-pitch?". 99.9% the answer is YES, our guide job is literally to push guests ability. If you have some minimum climbing and eagerness for a day of adventure we can make the day for you!
- Previous rock climbing experience, in the gym or outside
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 8 hours
- Can hike 4 hour in gentle uphill terrain
- Likes being outside
Meet at the Base Camp Cafe at the base of the Sea to Sky Gondola in Squamish at 8am. From there we will take the Gondola up and hike out into the backcountry after a final gear check. Hike, or bike, to the end of the old logging road. From there we ascend and cross the Stadium Glacier and gain the West Ridge of Sky Pilot Mt. Fourth, and easy fifth, class climbing on rock leads to an exhilarating summit with incredible views of the Sea to Sky Corridor.
1 DAY TRIP:
Hike to the Base of Mt. Sky Pilot. Climb it round trip in a maximum of 12 hours. The 12 hour day trip can only be done on Thursday, Friday and Saturday. If you are fit a one-day summit attempt can be made, on weekdays and Sunday. Only 9 hours are available for a one-day summit trip up Sky Pilot because the gondola is only open from 9am till 6pm Sea to Sky Gondola Hours of Operation
3 DAY TRIP:
Day 1: Meet at 10am at Base Camp Cafe at base of Sea to Sky Gondola. Have lunch at the top of the gondola then hike out to the base of the mountain to a beautiful base camp in the Alpine. Day 2: Early the next morning set out to summit Sky Pilot. Day 3: The next day we will climb Co-Pilot mountain, and head back to the gondola.
Sky pilot is one of the closest alpine route to Squamish and Vancouver BC offering engaging scrambling and unbeatable views of the Howe Sound and Sea to Sky Valley
Elevation gain from gondola: 1250m
Climb steepness: 45 degrees
Rock difficulty: 4th class
Distance (one way): 6.8km
Book a Custom Trip
Custom Date & Duration
May 15 - October 1
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!