Mount Tricouni - North Ridge
5.4 alpine rock ridge.
The Mount Tricouni North Ridge is one of the quickest and best alpine rock routes the Coast Mountains offers. This classic coastal mountaineering objective is a striking exposed rock ridge with difficulties up to 5.4, leading to an air summit overlooking both the Squamish and Whistler Valleys. The trip starts with a 4x4 journey almost right into the alpine, followed by a 1 to 2-hour alpine meadow approach. Finally, across the north glacier sees us on the ridge proper—an absolute must-do for anyone seeking a 1-day alpine trip.
Length: 1 day
Starting point: Squamish or Whistler BC.
Summit Elevation: 2075M (6807ft)
Season: June 1 - October 1
Style of Climbing: Steep snow and Rock
- Guide’s fees
- Group equipment (pots, stove, fuel)
- Technical gear rentals (harness, helmet, axe, crampons)
- Photos of the climb
- Pre and post valley accommodation
- Personal gear (ex. mountaineering boots, tent, sleeping bag, mat)
- 4x4 Transportation (additional cost based on road conditions)
- Boots – full-leather, They should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or similar
- Backpack – 30-40 litre capacity
- Outer layer waterproof jacket with hood – Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight outer layer waterproof pants – Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight thermal layers – top & bottom, Polypro, Icebreaker, etc.
- Climbing/hiking pants – nylon, fleece, Schoeller, etc. (1 pair)
- Gloves (medium weight) – wool or poly-pro (2 pair)
- Waterproof gloves or mitts (gloves work best) (2 pairs)
- Warm parka/jacket – down, synthetic, fleece or pile (1)
- Sweater or vest – wool, synthetic, fleece or down (1)
- Socks – wool or synthetic blend (1-2 pairs)
- Toque/warm hat – wool or fleece (1)
- Sunglasses – UV block with good eye coverage (1pr)
- Headlamp with new batteries
- Personal 1st aid (blister kit, toothbrush, blister kit, toilet paper, etc.)
- Misc. personal items (camera, journal, etc.)
- Sunscreen – minimum spf45
- Water bottles/hydration system – minimum 1 litre
- Small “thermos” for hot drinks (optional)
- Walking pole(s) – Optional but helpful for the approach/descent
- Gaiters (1 pair) – Optional if built-in paint gaiters or boot gaiters
Technical equipment (supplied by Altus if required)
- Ice axe and technical climbing tool
- Climbing harness – seat harness only
- 3 locking carabineers
- 1 belay device
- Crampons – adjusted to your boots (1 pair)
- Knife – Swiss army style
- Tape / Repair kit
- Compass and map
Is this for you?
- Previous rock climbing experience, in the gym or outside.
- Can top rope a minimum grade of 5.6
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 8 hours
- Likes being outside
Meet in either Whistler or Squamish, depending on where you are staying. We meet for a gear inspection before heading out to the trailhead on the west side of the 99 highway right between Squamish and Whistler BC. We will then spend the whole day in the alpine climbing and return in the afternoon. Typically we depart at 6 am and return around 4 pm.
*Contact us for custom dates, duration and included costs
Tricouni North Ridge is a great objective for any climber with some alpine or rock experience with 5.4 grading difficulties. The day is anywhere from 8 - 12 hours long, so good fitness and the ability to move through hiking and scrambling terrain all day is imperative.
Elevation gain from trailhead: 750m
Climb steepness: 45 - 55 degrees
Rock difficulty: 5.4
Distance (one way): 4.1km
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!