Mont Blanc Summit
Climb to the roof of Western Europe!
Come spend a week in the homeland of alpinism! Mont Blanc, at 4810M, it the highest mountain in western Europe and one of the most famous peaks in the world. The climb attracts aspiring and experienced mountaineers from all over seeking the physically demanding yet rewarding right of passage.
Our trip plan includes a three day warm-up to review technical climbing skills (ex. cramponing, axe use), while we also tackle some of the best warm-up climbs Europe has to over. We'll make sure you are well acclimitized and prepared for your summit attempt. We allow three days for your Mont Blanc attempt to account for weather, contingency, maximizing the success of your attempt while simultaneously allowing for more fun climbing during your stay!
Our European weeks are inclusive, offering everything you need from the start to the finish of your summit attempt. Small group guiding guarantees your safety and an unbeatable experience.
Length: 6 Days
Starting point: Chamonix
Summit Elevation: 4810m
Season: July 1 - August 31
Max Guide to Guest Ratio: 4:1 Warm-Up, 2:1 Summit
Style of climbing: Steep snow and ice
Day 0.5: We will have a car pick you up at the Geneva airport to transfer you to our base in Chamonix. Upon arrival we will check gear and go over the plans for the week.
Day 1: To shake off the jet lag and to start getting acclimatized we will head up the valley to the Grand Montet lift in the village of Argentiere. A quick gondola lift will take us to 3200m and in perfect striking distance to the Petit Aiguille Verte, a mixed snow and rock ridge in an absolutely wild setting
Day 2: 8am we depart for the Aiguille du Midi, where the highest gondola in Europe will take us to 3810m and into the heart of the Mont Blanc massive. The rest of the day will be spend traveling across the Valle Blanch to the Torino hut on the Italian/French border. Expect a 7 hour day of glacier travel, spectacular views and instruction.
Day 3: Alpine start - 5am we will head back to the French side of the range and climb the classic rock scrambling ridge, Aiguille des Entreves, or Aiguille du Tourille and back to the Torino Hut,
Day 4: Another Alpine start will put us in good position to make an ascent of the Aiguille to Roche-forte and wild snow ridge climb on the border of France and Italy. For those with a rock climbing back ground an ascent of the Dent Du Geant will be possible (5.7 5pitches). Back to Chamonix in PM.
Day 5: A civilized start to the day we will head back up the Aigulle du Midi and over to the Cosmiques Refuge for the night. The Cosmiques Refuge is at the base of the Trois Monts Route on Mont Blanc and will provide us the best position to make a summit attempt the next day. This day can be flexible depending on energy levels, There are many peak options along the way to the hut.
Day 6: 1am breakfast! Climbing by 2am. We will ascent the Trois Mont route, first up the Tacul to 4020m, then off the technical crux of the day Mont Maudit 4400m where we will climb a snow/ice face to 70ʼ And finally off the to Mont Blanc summit 4810. You can expect a very long days (10 - 14 h ) Depending on our timing we will either return to the Valley or spend another night at the Cosmiques Refuge
Day 7: Flex day. As it can be very difficult to time your ascent of Mont Blanc with the weather. Our programs build in flexibility on both sides of our scheduled summit attempt. So Friday can be used to summit or for one of the many classic option around Chamonix: index, Cosmiques arête, Midi-plan traverse, Rock climbing in the valley.
Return home. Transportation will be provided to Geneva airport at your convenience.
- Valley accomodation (based on double occupancy)
- Mountain hut accomodation
- Breakfast, packed lunch, dinner in mountain huts
- Transportation around Chamonix
- Guide fees
- Group equipment
- Travel to/from Geneva
- First and last night's accomodation
- Meals while in valley
- Personal gear rental (lots of affordable rental options in town!)
- Drinks while in mountain huts (no running water in mountain huts, 1.5L = 5EU/7CAD)
- Travel insurance
- Boots - full-leather or plastic mountaineering boots. If leather, they should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or equivalent
- Lightweight thermal layers - top & bottom, Polypro, Icebreaker, etc.
- Climbing/hiking pants - nylon, fleece, Schoeller, etc. (1 pair)
- Outer layer jacket with hood - Gore-Tex style
- Light weight outer layer waterproof pants - Gore-Tex style
- Warm parka/jacket – down, synthetic, fleece or pile (1)
- Sweater or vest – wool, synthetic, fleece or down (1)
- Gloves (medium weight) - wool or poly-pro (2 pair)
- Waterproof gloves or mitts (gloves work best ) (2 pair)
- Socks - wool or synthetic blend
- Toque/warm hat - wool or fleece (1)
- Sunglasses - 1005 UV block (1pr)
- Ski goggles (optional)
- Headlamp with new battaries
- Sunscreen - minimum spf30
- Water bottles/hydration system - minimum 1 liters
- Small "thermos" for hot drinks (optional)
- Summit / Day-pack - 15-40 liters capacity (optional your big backpack can also work as a Summit pack)
- Misc. personal items (camera, journal, etc.)
- Personal first aid kit (blister kit, medication, ear plugs)
- Gaiters (1 pair)
- Knife - Swiss army style
- Hand sanitizer
- Ice ax and technical climbing tool
- Climbing harness - seat harness only
- Glacier Travel Kit
- Crampons - adjusted to your boots (1 pair)
- Walking pole(s) - Optional
Group Gear - Provided by Altus
- Compass and map
- First Aid Kit
- Rope & technical gear
Is this for you?
A summit of Mont Blanc requires adequate fitness, however the climb itself is not super technical and thus is suitable for entry level to experienced climbers. You should be physically capable of moving for up to 14 hours on the summit day. Famliarity with mountaineering skills is a bonus, but we can go over basic skills (cramponing/axe use) over the warm up days to ensure you're ready for the climb!
*This trip has a unique payment policy.
When making a booking
Greater than 30 days from start date
- 50% deposit is required to secure your guides and or trip. Remaining trip cost is due 30 days
Less than 30 days from start date
- Trip cost must be paid in full
Please take a moment to read and understand our policies before booking! Booking, payment, cancelation and weather policies, as well as FAQ may be found here.
Scheduled Trip Dates
2021 Dates Coming Soon!€2,295 / person
Based on a minimum of 2 participants
Custom dates and duration available upon request!
Personal photographer to capture the trips epic moments.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!