Joffre Lakes Group
Coast Range Mountaineering Classics
The Duffey Lake Area has some of the finest mountaineering peaks in British Columbia. Located just north of Whistler, BC, in the heart of the Southern Coastal Mountains, is the Joffre Lakes Group. The Joffre Lakes group is the home to the majestic glaciated peaks of Mount Matier, Slalock, Hartzel and Mount Joffre. If not a stay at Keith's Hut, camping will be at a high col on the Anniversary Glacier within striking distance of steep north faces, classic glacier ascents and rocky ridge climbs - all in a sensational setting!
The Joffre Lakes Group is one of the great mountaineering areas in Canada on the Coast Range that is easily accessible from the highway. It is a bit of a hike but once in the area, there are many great mountaineering objectives to chose from. Let our certified ACMG and IFMGA Mountain Guides take you to the best mountaineering the Joffre Group has to offer.
Length: 1 or More Days
Starting point: Whistler, BC.
Summit Elevation: 2678M (8786ft)
Season: June 1 - October 1
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 2:1
Style of Climbing: Steep snow, rock and ice,
Cost: Starting at $650/day
Book a Custom Trip
Custom dates, duration, and itineraries avalable upon request
2 day trip $1300
2 day trip $750 / pp
3 day trip $1950
3 day trip $1125 / pp
Personal photographer to capture the trips epic moments.
- Guide’s fees
- Group equipment
- Personal climbing gear (not boots)
- Photos of the trip
- Group gear
- Stove/pot/fuel if required
- Hut/camping fees*
- Transportation to trailhead*
- Sleeping bag, mat, tent
- Mountaineering boots
*Altus may arrange at additional cost
- Boots – full-leather. They should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or similar
- Sleeping bag – good to approx. -5 or -10 degrees Celsius
- Sleeping pad – therma-rest style or closed-cell foam
- Backpack – 40-80 litre capacity
- Summit-pack – 20-40 litre capacity (Optional)
- Outer layer jacket with hood – Gore-Tex style
- Light weight outer layer waterproof pants – Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight thermal layers – top & bottom, Polypro, Icebreaker, etc.
- Climbing/hiking pants – nylon, fleece, Schoeller, etc. (1 pair)
- Gloves (medium weight) – wool or poly-pro (2 pair)
- Waterproof gloves or mitts (gloves work best) (2 pairs)
- Warm parka/jacket – down, synthetic, fleece or pile (1)
- Sweater or vest – wool, synthetic, fleece or down (1)
- Socks – wool or synthetic blend (2-3 pairs)
- Toque/warm hat – wool or fleece (1)
- Sunglasses – UV block with good eye coverage (1pr)
- Ski goggles
- Headlamp with new batteries
- Personal 1st aid (blister kit, toothbrush, toilet paper, etc.)
- Misc. personal items (camera, journal, etc.)
- Sunscreen – minimum spf45
- Water bottles/hydration system – minimum 1 liters
- Walking pole(s) – Optional but helpful for the approach/descent
- Gaiters (1 pair) – Optional if built in paint gaiters or boot gaiters
Communal equipment: (supplied by Altus if required)
Is this for you?
The number one questions we get from our guest is "are they ready for a multi-pitch?". 99.9% the answer is YES, our guide job is literally to push guests ability. If you have some minimum climbing and eagerness for a day of adventure we can make the day for you!
- Previous rock climbing experience, in the gym or outside
- Have top roped 5.6 as a minimum
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 3 hours
- Can hike 1 hour in gentle uphill terrain
- Likes being outside
Sounds too basic for you? We got you covered, our crew can guide anything from the easiest to nearly the hardest routes in Squamish.
Day 1: Meet in Whistler at designated time and location to organize gear and food. Drive 1.5 hours north to the trailhead. From the trailhead it is typically a 3 to 4 hour hike up to Keith’s Hut in the Joffre Lakes Park. Once at the hut or camping area your guide will assess the conditions and work with you to make a plan for the next days.
*Contact us for custom dates, duration and included costs
The Joffre Lakes area offers many options, this trip is suitable for anyone from absolute beginner to the experienced mountaineer. Routes range from mellow glacier trips to airy technical rock ridges. Joffre Lakes group, especially with the Keith’s Hut, makes for a pleasant trip into the alpine.
Start Elevation: 1200m
Distance from the summit: 7.9km
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!