Intro Mountaineering Course
3 Days in the Mountains to Kick Start your Alpine Life.
Our Mountaineering courses are designed to challenge you and give you the skills to travel safely in hazardous terrain. With plenty of hands-on training in the field and the appropriate student/instructor ratios for each course, the learning curve increases dramatically. We choose the best locations specific to the demands of the course. Join us for Introduction to Mountaineering, Advanced Alpinism or Neige, Glace et Mixed and mixed climbing. If you need advice on equipment purchase or rental don’t hesitate to contact us.
This long weekend mountaineering course introduces you into the world of Mountaineering through a development of climbing skill sets. We start with the basics at our local cliffs and progress through the weekend to attempt a high alpine summit. Saturday/Sunday will be spent overnight in the mountains camping. For the neophyte, there’s safety in numbers so this course runs at a 4:1 Student to Instructor ratio.
Length: 3 Days (1 overnight)
Locations: Squamish or Whistler, BC
Meeting point: Squamish Adventure Centre
Prerequisites: Previous hiking or scrambling experience
Highlight skills: Glacier travel, Short roping, Snow and Ice climbing
Season: Scheduled Dates All Summer
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 4: 1 Guest to Guide
Price: Starting at $625
What You Will Learn
Our goal is to dial up our participants in Glacier Travel, Crevasse Rescue and Alpine Rock tactics. After the course, students typically look to tackle glaciated peaks, such as: Mount Baker, Mount Garibaldi, Mount Matier or simple alpine rock routes such as: Blackcomb Buttress, Pigeon NE ridge, Kain Face - Bugaboo Spire.
Day 1 – Glacier Travel
- Using maps to plan objective
- Crevasse identification and avoidance
- Understanding mountain hazards
- Roping up for glacier travel
- Snow climbing techniques
- Ice climbing techniques
- Snow anchors, Rock anchors, and Ice anchors
Day 2 – Rock, Snow and Ice climbing
Overnight in Whistler or Squamish backcountry
- Pitched climbing in snow and ice
- Rock protection tactics
- Short pitching on rock
- Short roping on rock
- Rappeling on snow, rock, and ice
- Supervised practice
Day 3 – Student lead objective
- Students lead objective to put all skills to practice
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is This For You
If you have logged some time in the mountains, scrambling or advanced hiking, and are ready to take it to the summit- this is the course for you!
- No previous outdoor rock climbing experience (although recommended)
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 6 hours
- Can hike 4 hours in gentle uphill terrain
- Likes being outside
May 24- 26 $625 / person
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to 5% sales tax.
June 7-9 $625 / person
July 5- 7 $625 / person
July 26- 28 $625 / person
August 9- 11 $625 / person
September 8-10 $625 / person
- 3 full days of instruction with ACMG guide
- All technical equipment (harness, ice axe, helmet and group gear)
- Mountaineering boots
- Camping gear
- Transportation to and from meeting point
- Whistler Blackcomb Day Pass or a Sea to Sky Gondola Day Pass- depending on your group. You may have to purchase 1 day pass for either Whistler Blackcomb or the Sea to Sky Gondola in Squamish.
- Boots- sturdy leather or corder leather with lug soles and good ankle support
- Ice Axe
- Helmet- designed for climbing
- Harness- less than 10 years old
- Backpack: 30L for day 1, >50L for overnight
- Hiking Poles (collapsible poles with summer, hiking basket)
- Crevasse Rescue Kit
- Base Layers (thermals: top, bottoms, socks)
- Climbing Layers (mid weight soft shell jacket and pants)
- Waterproof Shells (pants and jacket)
- Insulated Jacket (down or synthetic)
- Warm Headwear
- Gloves (2 pairs- one lighter weight for climbing and one for colder temps)
- Sleeping Bag (temperature depending on location of course)
- Sleeping Pad
- Tent (3 or 4 season tent)
- Sandals or Shoes for around camp
- Sunglasses, sunscreen, lip protection
- Water Bottle/ Thermos
Making a booking
Greater than 14 days from start date
- 20% deposit is required to secure your guides and or trip. Remaining trip cost is due 14 days
Less than 14 days from start date
- Trip cost must be paid in full
*Subject to change based on particular trip
Forms of payment
Credit card: Visa, Mastercard
Email transfer: email@example.com
Cheque: Only accepted 30 days prior to trip commencement
Greater than 30 days from start date
- Deposit will be refunded in full
30 to 14 days prior to trip commencement
- Deposit amount will be forfeited
Less than 14 days
- Full trip amount will be forfeited
*Subject to change based on particular trip
*All cancellations must be received in writing
Cancellations by Altus Mountain Guides
Upon confirming your booking we guarantee the trip departure. If we cancel a trip for any reason prior to the start date a full refund will be provided. If we are forced to cancel a trip for any reason after the trip start date, a full refund for the unused portion of the trip will be provided. Reasons for Altus canceling a trip include, but are not limited to: unsafe conditions, guide injury, and/or guide illness.
Trip cancellation insurance
Upon confirmation of your trip Altus Mountain Guides enters into financial obligation and cannot refund payment or release you from your contractual obligation except for condition stated below in “Cancellations” Therefore in an effort to avoid unnecessary cancellation penalties, cancellation insurance is strongly recommended in the event you can not participate or if your trip is interrupted “for any reason”. This is available from most travel companies. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or obtaining insurance.
All participants must have personal internationally accepted medical insurance for all activities pertaining to your trip that also includes emergency rescue and evacuation. With your insurance please ensure you will be covered for “roped travel” if booking a technical trip.
*The required insurance depends on location
- Insurance is free in entire country
- Private insurance is recommended
- Mountain climbing rescue is free
Switzerland, Italy, Austria
- Privates or alpine club insurance is required.
*Europe: We recommend the following: Austrian alpine club membership, REGA
Longer & more involved routes may have additional premiums, driving, accommodation,& food costs are trip dependent.
Please contact us for details and a full quote.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!