Intro to Wilderness Hiking Course
Two Feet and A Heartbeat Can Take You Anywhere
Hiking is an easy and accessible way for everyone to enjoy nature. Scalable to any skill level, our intro to hiking course will do more than just teach you how to follow the trail.
Participants on this one day course will learn everything from proper gear selection, trip planning, and hazard recognition; to pacing, trail etiquette, and animal safety.
These foundational skills are the building blocks for all other backcountry endeavors. From backpacking to ski touring; rock climbing to mountaineering, this course will help you get your feet on the path.
Length: 1 Day
Locations: Squamish or Whistler, BC
Meeting point: Squamish Adventure Centre
Prerequisites: No previous hiking experience needed
Highlight skills: Gear, Bear awareness, Navigation
Season: Scheduled Dates All Summer
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 4: 1 Guest to Guide
Price: Starting at $165
What You Will Learn
Building from our online Intro to Hiking Course, participants can expect to get hands-on with the fundamentals of hiking in the wilderness.
Topics we will cover during this single day trip include:
- Packing and putting on your pack
- How to use poles
- Create a trip plan and put it into action
- Basic navigation skills
- Hazard Recognition
- How to set a pace
- Trail etiquette
- How to use bear spray and understand animal behaviour
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is This For You
This course is perfect for those new to hiking, and new to the backcountry. No previous experience required.
- No previous hiking experience necessary
- Ability to walk at your steady pace for up to 30 min in gentle uphill terrain
- Ability to carry your own pack with lunch, water and extra layers inside
Scheduled Courses - 2020
June 6 $165 / person
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to 5% sales tax.
June 20 $165 / person
July 11 $165 / person
July 25 $625 / person
August 8 $825 / person
- 1 Day with ACMG certified Hiking Guide
What’s Not Included
- Transportation to and from trailhead
Please come prepared to spend the whole day outside in all types of weather. It is not uncommon to have rain, sun, and snow all in one day!
- Softshell pants or capris
- Wicking layer
- Warm jacket (sweatshirt, lightweight down jacket)
- Rain/wind jacket (gore-tex)
- Warm hat (for colder days)
- Small backpack (20 litres)
- Hiking boots
- Water, at least 1L (more for trips ascending more than 1000m!)
- Hiking poles (optional but a great treat for your knees)
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!