Intro to Wilderness Hiking Course
Home Away From Home
You have put in the miles, walked to breathtaking viewpoints, traveled through lush coastal rainforest and alpine flower meadows; but you want to be able to go a little farther. Take your bed on your back and camp under the stars. Have a coffee at sunrise overlooking a valley below.
But carrying your home on your back is no easy feat. This course hopes to simplify your first overnight and give you the confidence to get higher and go farther.
Length: 1 Day
Locations: Squamish or Whistler, BC
Meeting point: Squamish Adventure Centre
Prerequisites: No previous hiking experience needed
Highlight skills: Gear, Bear awareness, Navigation
Season: Scheduled Dates All Summer
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 4: 1 Guest to Guide
Price: Starting at $355
What You Will Learn
Building from our online Intro to Backpacking and Hiking Courses, participants can expect to discuss hazards associated with backpacking, the terrain you may encounter, what gear you will need, route planning, and how to deal with animals. Students will be responsible for:
- Setting up a backcountry campsite
- Packing and cooking their own meals in the backcountry
- Animal safe food storage
- Proper handling of food and human waste
- Water treatment and safe water practices
- Animal safety
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is This For You
This course is designed for those who have some experience hiking for a full day. Are comfortable carrying up to 30Ibs on their back and want to learn how to safely camp in the backcountry.
- Ability to walk a slow, steady pace uphill with weight on your back
- Familiarity with hiking in various terrain
- Comfortable in all sorts of weather conditions
Scheduled Courses - 2020
June 13 - 14 $355 / person
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to 5% sales tax.
July 4 - 5 $355 / person
July 24 - 25 $355 / person
August 8 - 9 $355 / person
8 Am - Meet at trailhead, introductions, review trip plan, check gear
8:20-3:00 Pm - Hiking, learning reach camp
3-5:00 Pm - Set up camp
5-8:00 Pm - camp cooking, food storage, get ready for bed
7:30 Am - Make breakfast take down camp
9-4 Pm - Learning, hiking, high fives
4-5 Pm - Return to cars for debrief, and high fives
2 Day with ACMG certified Hiking Guide
- All group gear
What’s Not Included
- Transportation to and from trailhead
- Personal equiptment
Please come prepared to spend the whole days outside in all types of weather. It is not uncommon to have rain, sun, and snow all in one day!
- Softshell pants or capris
- Wicking layer
- Warm jacket (sweatshirt, lightweight down jacket)
- Rain/wind jacket and pants (gore-tex)
- Warm hat/gloves (for colder days)
- Base layers for sleeping in and wearing around camp
- 2 pair socks
- Hiking poles (optional but a great treat for your knees)
- 40-50L backpack
- Hiking boots
- 1-2L water bottle or water bladder
- Personal Blister Kit
- Tent/ Fly/pegs
- Sleeping bag
- Sleeping mat
- Toiletries/hand sanitizer
- Toilet paper in ziplock with 2nd ziplock bag
- Small cloth/sponge and biodegradable soap
- 1 easy to cook breakfast
- 1 easy to cook dinner
- 2 cold lunches
- Hot drinks, juice crystals etc.
- Bear spray
- Water filter/ purification
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!