Custom Guided Mountaineering
Choose a Peak, Any Peak - Snow, Ice, Rock
Do you have a peak, trip or destination in mind? We will work with you to turn your dream into reality. Altus Mountain Guides specializes in custom mountaineering trips in Squamish/Whistler, the Coast Range, the Interior Ranges of the Selkirks and Purcells, Europe and anywhere else your imagination can take you. Our team of certified Mountain Guides has the skills and experience to help you accomplish your dream mountaineering adventure.
- Do You Have a Mountain or Mountain Range in Mind?
- An Objective? (Mount Garibaldi, Tantalus, Robson, Matterhorn, etc.)
- How Long of a Trip?
- Any Other Goals for Your Adventure?
Length: 1 Day or more- Custom
Common Objectives: Bugaboos, Robson, Wedge, Tantalus & Matterhorn.
Difficulty of Climbs: Anything from introductory scrambles to multi-day high alpine routes.
Season: All Year
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: Depends on the Objective. 2:1 Maximum for more technical peaks.
Cost: Starting at $375 per person
What You Get
You tell us your dream mountaineering adventure: the area, objective, difficulty and length- and we take care of the rest. Altus Mountain Guides is experienced in creating custom mountaineering trips all over Canada and Europe. We take care of the finest detail to ensure your adventure is a memorable success. Our team will offer you continuous guidance to make the perfect trips: preparation, logistic support and finally, the most important: a skilled and highly trained Guide.
- Adventure Creation Experts
- Ongoing Support
- Intimate Local Knowledge
- ACMG/IFMGA Certified Guides
- Fully Custom Trips (dates, duration & destinations)
Is This For You
The luxury of a custom mountaineering trip is that you set the pace and the objective so that we can accommodate a wide range of abilities and fitness. Whether you are completely new to mountaineering and climbing or a seasoned pro looking for a solid partner in the hills- we can make it happen.
- Beginner to Expert Climbing Ability
- Any Range of Fitness
- No Previous Experience Necessary
Spent a stellar day on a multi-pitch alpine route with Andrew. Super efficient, safe, yet always took the time to explain what he was doing and why (setting up anchors a certain way, route finding, etc.). He was open to anything I suggested as possible objectives but was also an excellent resource in helping me pick a route—a great sense of humour with some awesome stories. I would recommend Andrew and this company--professional, friendly and efficient staff. Thanks for a great day out!
- Carolyn G
We did a 3 day trip with Andrew and Tucker. Staying at Keith's Hut, we got to do a steep snow climb on Matier, snow, and rock on Joffre. We knew we were safe with Andrew and Tucker while doing some mixed alpine climbing out of our comfort zone. They were probably one of the best guides we have ever had, and we have climbed around the world. Thanks for a great birthday climb!!
- Khanh Q
Ideas & Inspiration
There is certainly no shortage of mountaineering options globally, so here is a shortlist of some of the areas and routes we like to take our guests. Based out of Whistler, BC, most of our Mountaineering Trips are in the Coast Mountains of Canada.
Custom Trip Cost
1 Person $650 / day
2 People $375 / per person
More Than 2 People
Where our trip jumps off from depends on your objective! We will connect you with your guide before your trip date to establish a convenient start point.
With most trips commencing from Squamish BC, we recommend booking a hotel in either Squamish or the adjacent towns of Whistler or Vancouver. While on the trips, you can expect to find accommodation as either tenting or based out of a mountain hut. Mountain huts range from basic to quite comfy and well-stocked and cost $25 - $45/night/person. While working with us to create your custom trip, all costs are presented and approved before moving forward.
All custom trips have the option of the meals being supplied by Altus at the cost of $75/day/person. Alternatively, guests are more than welcome to take the reigns of their alpine dining. We will support with cooking/dining equipment and guidance if needed.
For larger groups, we may also arrange a personal cook to join our trips.
1:1 (guide to guest) $650/day
1:2 (guide to guest) $375/person/day
1:3 (guide to guest) $275/person/day
1:4 (guide to guest) $225/person/day
Our custom trips are based on guide days. All other expenses (ex. food, hut, transportation) are not included or are optional. The prices above do not include 5% GST.
*Most mountaineering routes are only possible with a maximum 1:2 ratio. Easier objectives may be possible with a higher ratio at the discretion of the guide.
While on the trip, we may spend the night in mountain huts or backcountry camps. These may range from $20 - $45/night/person. Guests are responsible for their guide's portion of the hut/camping fee.
All Valley accommodation will be our clients' responsibility to arrange and pay for; we are happy to assist in this and advise the best option.
All custom trips have the option of the meals being supplied by Altus at the cost of $75/day/person (minus 1 day, as breakfast & lunch on day 1 and the last dinner are not included). Alternatively, guests are more than welcome to take the reigns of their alpine dining, and we may support cooking/dining equipment and guidance if needed.
For larger groups, we may also arrange a personal cook to join our trips.
Depending on the objective, we may charge a travel day for the guide to make it to the starting point of the mountaineering trip. This is billed out at 50% of guide day fees.
Travelling with the guide on a trip is billed at $0.60/km for highway or simple back roads travel.
For 4x4 roads where the potential for additional wear and tear on the vehicle, the rate for travel will depend on the length and difficulty of the road (common on peaks such as Garibaldi or Tricouni)
Note: Gear requirements can change based on trip and conditions. Let us know if you have any questions!
- Mountain Boots – full-leather, They should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or similar
- Sleeping bag – good to approx. -5 or -10 degrees Celsius
- Sleeping pad – Therm-a-rest style or closed-cell foam
- Backpack – 40-80 litre capacity
- Summit-pack – 20-40 litre capacity (Optional)
- Outer layer jacket with hood – Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight outer layer waterproof pants – Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight thermal layers – top & bottom, Polypro, Icebreaker, etc.
- Climbing/hiking pants – nylon, fleece, Schoeller, etc. (1 pair)
- Gloves (medium weight) – wool or poly-pro (2 pair)
- Waterproof gloves or mitts (gloves work best) (2 pairs)
- Warm parka/jacket – down, synthetic, fleece or pile (1)
- Sweater or vest – wool, synthetic, fleece or down (1)
- Socks – wool or synthetic blend (2-3 pairs)
- Toque/warm hat – wool or fleece (1)
- Sunglasses – UV block with good eye coverage (1pr)
- Ski goggles
- Headlamp with new batteries
- Personal 1st aid (blister kit, toothbrush, blister kit, toilet paper, etc.)
- Misc. personal items (camera, journal, etc.)
- Sunscreen – minimum SPF 45
- Water bottles/hydration system – minimum 1 litre
- Small “thermos” for hot drinks (optional)
- Walking pole(s) – Optional but helpful for the approach/descent
- Gaiters (1 pair) – Optional if built-in paint gaiters or boot gaiters
- Personal eating utensils – cup, bowl, spoon
- Knife – Swiss army style
- Tape / Repair kit
- Lightweight 2 or 3 person tent
- Single burner stove and fuel*
- Cooking sets (2 pots per 3 people)*
- Compass and map
- Ice axe and technical climbing tool*
- Climbing harness – seat harness only*
- 3 locking carabineers*
- 1 belay device*
- Crampons – adjusted to your boots (1 pair)*
*Supplied by Altus if required
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!