18/19 Ski Season - Day 1
November 16, 2018
With unusually dry and warm weather on the coast, ski season is a bit delayed.
It took some driving and some walking, but we found winter hiding up high in the coast range...in a narrow band above 1700/1800m.
Despite the slim snow depth, the skiing was enjoyable and our ski bases lived to ski another day.
- We parked at the Metal Dome junction and walked, other brave truck driving skiers went right to the end of the road.
- Walked with skis on our backs up the trail to the meadow before donning our trusty skis
- Snow depth remains very thin until above 1600.
- The high point was 1800m with 80cm of snow. Suspect more (100 - 110cm?) on the glaciers.
- Glacier would require a lot of respect with this thin amount of snowpack covering the open crevasses exposed from the summer*
Fun day in the mountains and even a few good turns!