Summer Navigation Skills
Where are you going?
Everything you need to know to be confidently tackling a wide range of climbing objectives anywhere in the world. This 4 days course is designed to take a new climbing with limited or no outdoor experience through top rope anchors, sport climbing, trad climbing, multi-pitch skills and finally rock rescue in a safe progressive manner.
Length: 2 days
Locations: Squamish BC,
Meeting point: Squamish Adventure Centre
Highlight skills: Belay change overs, multi-pitch anchors, multi-pitch rappels, belay methods.
Season: Scheduled dates all summer
Max Guide to Guest Ratio: 4:1 guest to guide
What you will learn
The topics covered in the rock evolution course are designed to take participants from zero experience to be able to confidently tackle multi-pitch traditionally protected gear and sport climbs, as well as perform simple rock rescue.
Day 1 – Top Rope + Sport Climbing
- Route selections macro and micro
- Crag hazard recognition and mitigation
- Bolt evaluation
- Threading anchor for rappel
- Safe rappelling
- Setting up a top rope anchor system
Day 2 – Traditional Gear Climbing
- Protection placement and assessment (cams, nuts)
- Anchor Systems
- Safe retreating
- Lead tactics
- Supervised practice
Day 3 – Multi Pitch Climbing
- Advanced anchor building
- Different methods of top down belays
- Belay management
- Efficiency: climbing and change overs
- Multi-pitch rappelling
- Supervised multi-pitch climb
Day 4 – Rock Rescue
- Escape belayHaul: 3:1, 6:1, Block and tackle
- Lower: redirect, munter, knot pass
- Counterbalance rappel, Tram
- Improvised rappel anchors/system
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Is this for you
If you have logged some time in the climbing gym and are ready to catapult your climbing skill to be a full fledged outdoor rock climber this is for you!
- No previous outdoor rock climbing experience
- Have top roped 5.6 as a minimum (in the gym)
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 3 hours
- Can hike 1 hour in gentle uphill terrain
- Likes being outside
May 24 - 27 $590 / person
June 4 - 7 $590 / person
July 8 - 11 $590 / person
August 14 - 17 $590 / person
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to %5 sales tax.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!