Whistler Backcountry Tours
Come One, Come All. The Powder is Calling!
Simple; choose a date, join a group!
A lifetime of peaks, valleys, chutes, and glades waiting to lay some tracks down. Whistler's quaint ski resort isn't just for pumping the lifts all day; the region's ski touring opportunities are exquisite and some of the most convenient in North America.
Join one of our Whistler backcountry tours! We offer group trips during the weekdays and private trips any time throughout the season.
Our group tours are a maximum of 6:1 ratio (skier to guide) and require a minimum of 3 for the group to run.
How it works:
- Choose a date. We offer trips Wednesday and Saturday all season long.
- Tell us about your abilities and ski touring experience - We will do our best to team you up with a similar skiers group.
- Get the gear - In addition to the usual kit, you will need ski touring gear and avalanche safety gear (ask us about rentals)
- Meet us at 8:00 am sharp! (or if its a private... you call the terms)
Length: 1 Day
Elevations: 900m - 2600m
Terrain: Open bowls, glades, pillows, alpine faces and couloirs with a good mix of elevations and aspects.
Season: November 6 to April 16 (Wednesday and Saturday)
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 6:1
Favorite Runs: Spearhead Glacier, Chuting Gallery, Musical Bumps
Cost: Starting at $225 per person
What You Get
Turn up the volume on your Whistler trip with a Whistler Backcountry tour. By joining a group trip, you gain affordable access to the best of the Whistler backcountry on your own schedule.
- Flexible dates
- ACMG/ IFMGA Certified Guides
- Intimate Local Knowledge
- Expert Skiers
- Passion for Showing Our Guests the Best Skiing
Is This For You
Our open group backcountry tours are for skiers who have previous touring experience, understand the gear, and are ready to jump into a full day of ski touring. You should have the ski ability to enjoy the terrain we can access; you should be comfortable in powder snow and have some experience in technical sections. If you are comfortable enjoying a powder day at the resort and can get your way down a black/double black diamond run, then you are good to go!
- Intermediate to Expert Downhill Ski Ability
- Any Range of Fitness
- Previous Backcountry Skiing Experience Required
Whistler Backcountry Skiing
The Whistler Backcountry provides a lifetime of ski touring possibilities with unbeatable access. From the resort lift system, we are able to quickly access all types of skiing: glades, pillows, glaciers and couloirs. Using the lift system allows us to maximize your time skiing.
Typical Whistler Backcountry day: 8:00am start - 3 to 5 backcountry runs - 1300m to 2500m of ascent (on skins) - 2000m to 3300m of descent
Altus Mountain Guides made our ski trip to BC. We skied 4 days with Ross Berg who tailored each day to help us find the best skiing and snow each day. Tons of knowledge and a great person to explore the backcountry with. I highly recommend them.
- Brian Z
Great experience booking a private guide through Altus. They were super helpful and easy to work with throughout the entire process and our guide Kinley was phenomenal - she's actually a trainer for the ACMG and knows a ton.
- Ruben K
Join a group trip
All prices are in CAD and subject to 5% sales tax.
Early Season$225 per person
November 6 - December 20
Winter Season$275 per person
December 19 - April 16
Private Tour$650 - $900 per group
- 8:00 am - Meet at Whistler Base, check gear, and review conditions.
- 8:30 am - Take the lifts up and head out of the ski area boundary to Whistler or Blackcomb, depending on the guide’s discretion.
- 16:00 – 17:00 - Return to Whistler Village for apres
- Guides' Fees
- Pre-Tour Consulting
- All Technical Equipment (harness, crevasse rescue and group gear)
- Adventure Concierge support while on trip
- One Heck of a Good Time
- Backcountry Ski Rentals
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment (we can supply rentals if necessary)
- Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry Lift Ticket*
- Food (Altus can arrange catering for all our trips at the request of our guests)
*Available for purchase at checkout.
• Backcountry skis + skins or Split board set up (board, skins, poles)
• 30-litre backpack (something large enough to fit extra clothing, skins (6in x 2 x 3), food, water and any personal items)
• Avalanche Transceiver, Shovel, Probe
•Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
• Lightweight, breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
• Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
• Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
• Balaclava or other types of neck warmer
• Sun hat
• Small personal ski repair kit
• Personal first aid, medication
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!