Whistler Backcountry Tours
Come one, Come all. Powder is calling!
Simple; choose a date, join a group!
A lifetime of peaks, valleys, chutes, and glades waiting to lay some tracks down. The quaint ski resort of Whistler isn't just for pumping the lifts all day, the ski touring opportunities are exquisite and some of the most convenient in North America.
Join one of our Whistler backcountry tours, we offer group trips during the weekdays all season and private trips any time of the season.
Our group tours are a maximum of 6:1 ratio (skier to guide) and require a minimum of 3 for the group to run.
How it works:
- Choose a date. We offer trips Monday - Friday all season long.
- Tell us about your abilities, and ski touring experience - We will do our best to team you up with a similar group of skiers.
- Get the gear - You need in addition to the usual kit, ski touring gear, and avalanche safety gear. (Rentals available)
- Meet us 8:00 am sharp! (of its a private you call the terms)
Length: 1 Day
Elevations: 900m - 2600m
Terrain: Open bowls, glades, pillows, alpine faces and couloirs with a good mix of elevations and aspects.
Season: November 24 to April 15
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 6:1
Favorite Runs: Spearhead Glacier, Chuting Gallery, Musical Bumps
Cost: Starting at $175 per person
What You Get
Access to the best of the Whistler backcountry. Turn up the volume on your Whistler trip with a Whistler backcountry tour. By joining a group trip you get access to a tour at your specific schedule at a discount price of a private tour.
- Flexible dates
- ACMG/ IFMGA Certified Guides
- Intimate Local Knowledge
- Expert Skiers
- Passion for Showing Our Guests the Best Skiing
Is This For You
Our open group backcountry tours are for skiers who have previous touring experience, understand the gear and are ready to jump into a full day of ski touring. Next is the ski ability to enjoy the terrain we can access. That means comfort in powder snow and experience in technical sections. If you are comfortable enjoying a powder day at the resort and can get your way down a black/double black diamond run you are good to go!
- Intermediate to Expert Downhill Ski Ability
- Any Range of Fitness
- Previous Backcountry Skiing Experience Required
Whistler Backcountry Skiing
The Whistler Backcountry provides a lifetime of ski touring possibilities with unbeatable access. From the resort lift system, we are able to quickly access all types of skiing: glades, pillows, glaciers and couloirs. Using the lift system allows us to maximize your time skiing.
Typical Whistler Backcountry day: 8:00am start - 3 to 5 backcountry runs - 1300m to 2500m of ascent (on skins) - 2000m to 3300m of descent
Altus Mountain Guides made our ski trip to BC. We skied 4 days with Ross Berg who tailored each day to help us find the best skiing and snow each day. Tons of knowledge and a great person to explore the backcountry with. I highly recommend them.
- Brian Z
Great experience booking a private guide through Altus. they were super helpful and easy to work with throughout the entire process and our guide Kinley was phenomenal - she's actually a trainer for the ACMG and knows a ton.
- Ruben K
Join a group trip
Early Season$175 per person
November 1 - December 20
Winter Season$205 per person
December 21 - April 23
- 8:00 am - Meet at Whistler Base, check gear, and review conditions.
- 8:30 am - Take the lifts up and head out of the ski area boundary to Whistler or Blackcomb, depending on guide’s discretion.
- 16:00 – 17:00 - Return to Whistler Village for apres
- Guides' Fees
- Pre-Tour Consulting
- All Technical Equipment (harness, crevasse rescue and group gear)
- Adventure Concierge support while on trip
- One Heck of a Good Time
- Backcountry Ski Rentals
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment (we can supply rentals if necessary)
- Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry Lift Ticket*
- Food (Altus can arrange catering for all our trips at the request of our guests)
*Available for purchase at checkout.
• Backcountry skis + skins or Split board set up (board, skins, poles)
• 30 liter backpack (something large enough to fit extra clothing, skins (6in x 2 x 3), food, water and any personal items)
• Avalanche Transceiver, Shovel, Probe
•Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
• Lightweight breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
• Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
• Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
• Balaclava or other types of neck warmer
• Base layers
• Sun screen
• Sun hat
• Small personal ski repair kit
• Personal first aid, medication
Making a booking
Greater than 30 days from the start date
- 20% deposit is required to secure your tour. Remaining tour cost is due 30 days
Less than 30 days from start date
- Tour cost must be paid in full
*Subject to change based on particular trip
Forms of payment
Credit card: Visa, Mastercard
Email transfer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheque: Only accepted 30 days prior to trip commencement
The following cancellation policy is specific to our Whistler backcountry tours specifically
Greater than 48 hours from start date
- Payment will be refunded in full
Less than 48 hours of commencement
- Payment amount will be forfeited
Cancellations by Altus Mountain Guides
Upon confirming your booking we guarantee the trip departure. If we cancel a trip for any reason prior to the start date a full refund will be provided. If we are forced to cancel a trip for any reason after the trip start date, a full refund for the unused portion of the trip will be provided.
Trip cancellation insurance
Upon confirmation of your trip Altus Mountain Guides enters into financial obligation and cannot refund payment or release you from your contractual obligation except for condition stated below in “Cancellations” Therefore in an effort to avoid unnecessary cancellation penalties, cancellation insurance is strongly recommended in the event you cannot participate or if your trip is interrupted “for any reason”. This is available from most travel companies. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or obtaining insurance.
All participants must have personal internationally accepted medical insurance for all activities pertaining to your trip that also includes emergency rescue and evacuation. With your insurance please ensure you will be covered for “roped travel” if booking a technical trip.
*The required insurance depends on location
- Insurance is free in the entire country
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!