Custom Backcountry Ski Trips
Local Powder Stashes and Epic Freeride Lines - All Winter Long.
Let us show you our Backyard. Whether pushing into the Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry or heli dropping into the highly coveted Tantalus Range- we can create the dream ski trip for you and your friends. One day hits in the local Whistler backcountry, overnight hut trips further in the backcountry or adventurous multi-day ski traverses, Altus Mountain Guides specializes in Custom Backcountry Ski Trips around Whistler, BC and Beyond.
Our team of experienced Ski Guides have gone through the training ringer and have logged dizzying amounts of time guiding and skiing not only in Whistler's Backcountry but all over the world. Our Ski Guides cater to every skill level, whether it is your first day out after a winter behind the keys or you are fresh off Ironman training.
Length: 1 Day or more- Custom
Elevations: 900m - 2600m
Terrain: Open bowls, glades, pillows, alpine faces and couloirs with a good mix of elevations and aspects.
Season: November 1 to May 15
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 6:1
Favorite Runs: Mount Currie Pencil Couloir, Serratus North Face and Husume Couloir.
Cost: Starting at $550 - $850 per day
What You Get
Your Backcountry Ski Goal. And if you don't have one, we will help you create one. We work with our guests to design the perfect plan whether it is your first ever trip into the backcountry or you have plans to get barrelled in powder on a steep alpine face. With our Ski Guides' extensive knowledge of our local haunt of the Whistler Backcountry, the Coast Mountain Range and destinations all over the world, there is no shortage of ski lines everywhere for everyone. Let us know.
- Fully Custom Trips (dates, duration & destination)
- ACMG/ IFMGA Certified Guides
- Intimate Local Knowledge
- Expert Skiers
- Passion for Showing Our Guests the Best Skiing
Is This For You
The luxury of a Custom Backcountry Ski Trip is that you set the pace and objective and we accommodate your ability level, fitness and goals. Whether you are completely new to backcountry skiing or have logged many seasons ski touring in the high alpine, we can make a trip that fits your needs. Our Guides have the qualifications and personal skill set to accommodate a wide range of ability levels from new to experienced.
- Intermediate to Expert Downhill Ski Ability
- Any Range of Fitness
- No Previous Backcountry Skiing Experience Required
Whistler Backcountry Skiing
The Whistler Backcountry provides a lifetime of ski touring possibilities with unbeatable access. From the resort lift system, we are able to quickly access all types of skiing: glades, pillows, glaciers and couloirs. Using the lift system allows us to maximize your time skiing.
Typical Whistler Backcountry day: 8:00am start - 3 to 5 backcountry runs - 1300m to 2500m of ascent (on skins) - 2000m to 3300m of descent
Ideas and Inspiration
Beyond the Spearhead Range accessed by the Whistler Blackcomb lift system is hundreds of valleys, peaks and epic ski lines to choose from. The list of backcountry options is far too big to compile but that's what Ski Guides are for- we keep our finger on the pulse throughout the winter and can direct your ski trips to the area with the best current conditions and weather.
Incredible, once in a lifetime experience - Our guide made us feel very safe the entire time, educating us about backcountry skiing along the way. We had an extra friend join one day and he perfectly adjusted our goals to make it enjoyable for all. He even gave us tips to improve our ski technique. Needless to say, Altus made our vacation way better.
- Mark Z
Did the Spearhead Traverse, April 20-22, with Simon Thomson as guide, along with another skier and four snowboarders. The first two days were cloudy to the point of whiteout but the last was gloriously clear and sunny. The snow was deep and untracked throughout. Simon put in beautiful up-tracks and led us safely down some of the best ski runs I've ever traveled. Get out with Altus if you are looking for a worry-free experience.
- David H
Book a Custom Trip Winter 2018/19
Early Season$550 to $700
November 1 - December 20
Winter Season$650 to $850
December 21 - April 23
Spring Season$550 to $700
April 24 - May 31
- 8:00 am - Meet at Whistler Base, check gear, and review conditions.
- 8:30 am - Take the lifts up and head out of the ski area boundary to Whistler or Blackcomb, depending on guide’s discretion.
- 16:00 – 17:00 - Return to Whistler Village for apres
- Guides' Fees
- Pre-Trip Consulting
- Pre-Trip Fitness Plan
- All Technical Equipment (harness, crevasse rescue and group gear)
- Adventure Concierge support while on trip
- One Heck of a Good Time
- Backcountry Ski Rentals
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment (we can supply rentals if necessary)
- Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry Lift Ticket*
- Food (Altus can arrange catering for all our trips at the request of our guests)
- Hut Fees
*Available for purchase at checkout.
• Backcountry skis + skins or Split board set up (board, skins, poles)
• 30 liter backpack (something large enough to fit extra clothing, skins (6in x 2 x 3), food, water and any personal items)
• Avalanche Transceiver, Shovel, Probe
•Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
• Lightweight breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
• Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
• Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
• Balaclava or other types of neck warmer
• Base layers
• Sun screen
• Sun hat
• Small personal ski repair kit
• Personal first aid, medication
Making a booking
Greater than 14 days from start date
- 20% deposit is required to secure your guides and or trip. Remaining trip cost is due 14 days
Less than 14 days from start date
- Trip cost must be paid in full
*Subject to change based on particular trip
Forms of payment
Credit card: Visa, Mastercard
Email transfer: email@example.com
Cheque: Only accepted 30 days prior to trip commencement
Greater than 30 days from start date
- Deposit will be refunded in full
30 to 14 days prior to trip commencement
- Deposit amount will be forfeited
Less than 14 days
- Full trip amount will be forfeited
*Subject to change based on particular trip
*All cancellations must be received in writing
Cancellations by Altus Mountain Guides
Upon confirming your booking we guarantee the trip departure. If we cancel a trip for any reason prior to the start date a full refund will be provided. If we are forced to cancel a trip for any reason after the trip start date, a full refund for the unused portion of the trip will be provided.
Trip cancellation insurance
Upon confirmation of your trip Altus Mountain Guides enters into financial obligation and cannot refund payment or release you from your contractual obligation except for condition stated below in “Cancellations” Therefore in an effort to avoid unnecessary cancellation penalties, cancellation insurance is strongly recommended in the event you can not participate or if your trip is interrupted “for any reason”. This is available from most travel companies. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or obtaining insurance.
All participants must have personal internationally accepted medical insurance for all activities pertaining to your trip that also includes emergency rescue and evacuation. With your insurance please ensure you will be covered for “roped travel” if booking a technical trip.
*The required insurance depends on location
- Insurance is free in entire country
- Private insurance is recommended
- Mountain climbing rescue is free
Switzerland, Italy, Austria
- Privates or alpine club insurance is required.
*Europe: We recommend the following: Austrian alpine club membership, REGA
Longer & more involved routes may have additional premiums, driving, accommodation,& food costs are trip dependent.
Please contact us for details and a full quote.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!