Custom AST Course
The First Step to Safe and Efficient Backcountry Skiing
We will work with you to create an Avalanche Skills Training (AST) course that suits your group's ability, experience, goals, and schedule. Using the AST 1+ and AST 2 as templates, we can design a course for complete backcountry newbies or experienced backcountry skiers who want to acquire decision-making skills to ski and ride in big steep alpine terrain. Whatever your group's ability level, we can make a course to teach you everything you need to know to safely and confidently enjoy backcountry adventures.
Courses are available for 1 or more days, accomodating groups of up to 8 participants per Guide.
Length: 2 to 4 Days
Locations: Whistler or Squamish, BC.
Prerequisites: Ability to hike uphill for 3 hours and advance ski ability (black diamond runs).
Highlight Skills: Companion rescue, snow assessment, group management and the use of ski touring gear.
Season: November 1 through May 15
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 8:1
Price: Starting at $215 pp
What You Get
Create your own course to cover the skills you want to learn, the duration you want and, most importantly, the dates that work for you!
We provide the rest:
- ACMG Guides
- Experienced Avalanche Skill Instructors
- Intimate Local Knowledge
- Learning Resources
Is This for You
The beauty of a custom AST course is that we tailor the course to suit your group's needs. Whether your crew is totally new to backcountry adventures or has years of experience and multiple backcountry courses under your belt- we accommodate it all.
We recommend that all participants in your group have a similar ability level to ensure everyone gets the most out of the course. And as with all our Backcountry courses, we also recommend participants have confidence in powder skiing and the fitness to ski tour uphill for 3 hours a day.
I contacted five companies about setting up a custom mountaineering trip and Altus immediately got back to me with all sorts of helpful, informative details. They were much easier and better to work with than all the other companies.
- Michele G
I felt safe and secure, and I learned a ton. Great objective, great weather, great food, and great company - it doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Custom Courses Available All Winter
AST 1 $1520 / group
All listed prices are in CAD and subject to 5% sales tax.
AST 1+ $1980 / group
AST 2 $2950 / group
Build Your Own from $650 / day
- Course Material (Avaluator Card)
- Instruction from CAA Members and or ACMG Guide
- Backcountry Ski Rentals
- Avalanche Rescue Equipment (we can supply if necessary $30/day)
- Whistler Blackcomb Backcountry Lift Ticket
Avalanche Safety Gear
- Avalanche Transceiver
- Shovel: Collapsible aluminum shovel.
- Probe: Normal length probe somewhere from 220cm to 320cm.
*Available for rent at check out*
- Ski touring skis: bindings, skins, poles or split board+skins
- Ski touring/snowboard boots
- Snow saw (optional)
- Suitable day pack 30 - 40L
- Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
- Lightweight, breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
- Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
- Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
- Warm gloves
- Warm hats
- Balaclava or another type of neck warmer
- Sun hat
- ski strap
- small personal ski repair kit
- personal first aid, medication
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!