Backcountry Skiing Intro Course
Open the Door to a World of Backcountry Adventures
Learn how to take you ski skills into the backcountry, where the fun really happens. Our 2 day Backcountry Skiing Intro course introduces participants to backcountry ski touring gear, travel techniques, avalanche awareness, route finding, route planning, whiteout navigation and descent strategies.
Our courses run at a maximum 6:1 student to guide ratio to ensure participants gain as much as possible from the course.
Length: 2 Days
Locations: Whistler, BC.
Prerequisites: Intermediate to advance ski ability and experience skiing powder.
Highlight skills: Use of backcountry ski gear, companion rescue, up hill climbing, powder skiing techniques and mountain hazards evaluation.
Season: Scheduled Dates All Winter
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 6:1 Guest to Guide
What You Will Learn
This 2 day course covers the skills that make up a confident backcountry skier: the fundamentals of avalanche phenomena/avoidance, uphill backcountry travel, tackling ski lines and, of course, how to use that new backcountry setup.
• Companion Rescue
• Understanding Types of Avalanches
• Type of Avalanche Issues
• Understand Geographical Variability
• Safe Travel Up and Down in Avalanche Terrain
• Understanding Avalanche Forecast
• Track Setting, Skin and Ski Line Assessments
Is This For You
This course is great for anyone new to backcountry skiing. Participants who pair this course with an AST 1 course will be primed to access simple and challenging backcountry terrain. Although no backcountry experience is required for this course, ski experience is. Participants should be comfortable skiing black diamond runs and have experience skiing powder.
- No Backcountry Experience Needed
- Ability to Ski Black Diamond Runs
- Powder Experience
- Fitness to Walk Up Hill for a Minimum of 3 Hours
I want to say a big thank you to the Altus team for enabling my future multi-pitch adventures, I feel really good about how today's course has prepared me for the big leagues 🙂
- Mark T
It doesn't get any better than this! Can't wait to get back out there with the Altus guides - don't leave home without 'em!
- Nigel B
Scheduled Courses 2017/2018
December 2, 3 $295 / person
All prices are in CAD dollar and subject to 5% sales tax
December 23, 24 $295 / person
February 3, 4 $295 / person
February 24, 25 $295 / person
8:00 am - Meet at Whistler base, power point presentation, gear, and rescue technique overview
9:00 - Head up the Whistler/Blackcomb lift system and into the backcountry!
4:30 pm - Day wrap up, plan for tomorrow
8:30 am - Upload Whistler or Blackcomb backcountry
5:00 pm - Back to cars
- 2 full days of instruction with ACMG guide
- All technical equipment
- Transportation to and from meeting point
- Backcountry lift passes for Whistler/Blackcomb (discounted tickets are available at check out for $62)
- Avalanche beacon
- Backcountry skis or split-board (skis, skins, poles)
- 30 litre backpack or large enough to carry personal gear
- Waterproof/breathable jacket and pants
- Lightweight breathable jacket and pants (for uphill skinning/climbing)
- Insulated jacket (synthetic insulated jacket is strongly recommended)
- Lightweight gloves for climbing/skinning
- Warm gloves
- Warm hats
- Balaclava or other types of neck warmer
- Sun screen
- Sun hat
- Ski strap
- Small personal ski repair kit
- Personal first aid, medication
Please arrive in the morning with food and drink for the day.
Making a booking
Greater than 14 days from start date
- 20% deposit is required to secure your guides and or trip. Remaining trip cost is due 14 days
Less than 14 days from start date
- Trip cost must be paid in full
*Subject to change based on particular trip
Forms of payment
Credit card: Visa, Mastercard
Email transfer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Cheque: Only accepted 30 days prior to trip commencement
Greater than 30 days from start date
- Deposit will be refunded in full
30 to 14 days prior to trip commencement
- Deposit amount will be forfeited
Less than 14 days
- Full trip amount will be forfeited
*Subject to change based on particular trip
*All cancellations must be received in writing
Cancellations by Altus Mountain Guides
Upon confirming your booking we guarantee the trip departure. If we cancel a trip for any reason prior to the start date a full refund will be provided. If we are forced to cancel a trip for any reason after the trip start date, a full refund for the unused portion of the trip will be provided.
Trip cancellation insurance
Upon confirmation of your trip Altus Mountain Guides enters into financial obligation and cannot refund payment or release you from your contractual obligation except for condition stated below in “Cancellations” Therefore in an effort to avoid unnecessary cancellation penalties, cancellation insurance is strongly recommended in the event you can not participate or if your trip is interrupted “for any reason”. This is available from most travel companies. Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any questions or concerns regarding our policy or obtaining insurance.
All participants must have personal internationally accepted medical insurance for all activities pertaining to your trip that also includes emergency rescue and evacuation. With your insurance please ensure you will be covered for “roped travel” if booking a technical trip.
*The required insurance depends on location
- Insurance is free in entire country
- Private insurance is recommended
- Mountain climbing rescue is free
Switzerland, Italy, Austria
- Privates or alpine club insurance is required.
*Europe: We recommend the following: Austrian alpine club membership, REGA
Longer & more involved routes may have additional premiums, driving, accommodation,& food costs are trip dependent.
Please contact us for details and a full quote.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!