Sky Pilot Summit
Local lift accessed alpine
At 2031 meters (6663 feet), Sky Pilot provides a great introduction to the Alpine right in the backyard of Squamish and Vancouver. Sky Pilot and the Stadium Glacier are reached by using the new Sea to Sky Gondola. Riding the Gondola saves hours of approach time with almost a vertical kilometer of elevation gain (2800 feet) allowing for quick access to the Alpine. This area is great for one and three day adventures boasting amazing views and a big mountain feel.
Length: 1 or more days
Starting point: Squamish BC
Summit Elevation: 2031m, 6663ft
Season: June 1 - October 15
Max Guide to Guest Ratio: 2:1
Style of climbing: Steep snow and rock
Cost: Starting at $350 per person
At 2031 meters (6663 feet), Sky Pilot provides a great introduction to the Alpine right in the backyard of Squamish and Vancouver. Sky Pilot and the Stadium Glacier are reached by using the new Sea to Sky Gondola. Riding the Gondola saves hours of approach time with almost a vertical kilometer of elevation gain (2800 feet) allowing for quick access to the Alpine. This area is great for one and 3 day adventures boasting amazing views and a big mountain feel.
Sky Pilot is a great ascent for those interested in a fun day on a rocky peak of moderate technical difficulty. Earlier in the season, it offers many snow and ice ascents for people of all abilities. The Sky Pilot region is also a fantastic place for an introduction to Alpine skills.
Guides fee, Technical gear rentals (harness, helment, axe, crampons)
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
Lift Ticket up the Gondola, Mountain boots, Food - (Food can be provided for an additional $50 per person per day)
May 15th - October 15th
(Custom dates, duration, included services and prices are available)
1 DAY TRIP:
$600 per person 1:1 (guide : guest)
$350 per person 1:2 (guide : guest)
3 DAY TRIP (Includes a Summit of Co-Pilot as well)
$1495 per person 1:1 (guide : guest)
$900 per person 1:2 (guide : guest)
Meet at the Base Camp Cafe at the base of the Sea to Sky Gondola in Squamish at 8am. From there we will take the Gondola up and hike out into the backcountry after a final gear check. Hike and or bike to the end of the old logging road. From here we ascend up to the Stadium Glacier, cross this and gain the West Ridge of Sky Pilot Mt. Fourth and easy fifth class climbing on rock, leads to an exhilarating summit with incredible views of the Sea to Sky Corridor.
1 DAY TRIP:
Hike to the Base of Mt. Sky Pilot. Climb it round trip in a maximum of 12 hours. The 12 hour day trip can only be done on Friday and Saturday. If you are fit a one-day summit attempt can be made, on weekdays and Sunday. Only 9 hours are available for a one-day summit trip up Sky Pilot because the gondola is only open from 9am till 6pm. Sea to Sky Gondola Hours.
3 DAY TRIP:
Day 1: Meet at 10am at Base Camp Cafe at base of Sea to Sky Gondola. Have lunch at the top of the gondola then hike out to the base of the mountain to a beautiful base camp in the Alpine. Day 2: Early the next morning set out to summit Sky Pilot. Day 3: The next day we will climb Co-Pilot mountain and head back to the gondola.
SKY PILOT EQUIPMENT LIST
Please contact Altus Mountain Guides for any further questions or concerns you might have regarding your equipment needs. Personal Gear:
- Boots - full-leather or plastic mountaineering boots. If leather, they should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or equivalent
- Hut slippers/flip flops
- Sleeping bag - good to approx. -5 or -10 degrees Celsius
- Backpack - 60-80 liters capacity, big enough to hold all gear for the trip plus some extra communal gear
- Summit / Day-pack - 15-40 liters capacity (optional your big backpack can also work as a Summit pack)
- Outer layer jacket with hood - Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight outer layer waterproof pants - Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight thermal layers - top & bottom, Polypro, Icebreaker, etc.
- Climbing/hiking pants - nylon, fleece, Schoeller, etc. (1 pair)
- Gloves (medium weight) - wool or poly-pro (2 pair)
- Warm parka/jacket - down, synthetic, fleece or pile (1)
- Sweater or vest - wool, synthetic, fleece or down (1)
- Socks - wool or synthetic blend (1 pair min)
- Toque/warm hat - wool or fleece (1)
- Sunglasses - 1005 UV block (1pr)
- Headlamp with new battaries
- Sunscreen - minimum spf30
- Water bottles/hydration system - minimum 1.5 litres
- Walking pole(s) - Optional
Communal and Technical equipment:
- (Supplied by AMG if required):
- Compass and map
- First Aid Kit
- Ice ax
- Climbing harness - seat harness only
- 2 locking carabiners
- 1 belay device
- Rope rescue cord / webbing
- Crampons - adjusted to your boots (1 pair)
- Gaiters (1 pair)
- Small thermos for hot drinks (optional)
- Knife - Swiss army style
- 1st aid (blister kit, toothbrush, blister kit, toilet paper, medications, etc.)
- Toilet paper
- Therma Rest
- Gas stove
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!