Mount Tricouni - North Ridge
5.4 alpine rock ridge.
The Mount Tricouni North Ridge is one of the quickest and best alpine rock routes the Coast Mountains have to offer. This classic coastal mountaineering objective is a striking exposed rock ridge with difficulties up to 5.4 leading to an air summit over looking both the Squamish and Whistler Valleys. The trip starts with a 4x4 journey almost right into the alpine followed by a 1 to 2 hour alpine meadow approach and finally across the north glacier sees us on the ridge proper. An absolute must do for anyone seeking a 1 day alpine trip.
Length: 1 day
Starting point: Squamish or Whistler BC.
Summit Elevation: 2075M (6807ft)
Season: June 1 - October 1
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 2:1
Style of Climbing: Steep snow and Rock
Cost: Starting at $350 per person
- Guide’s fees
- Group equipment
- Technical gear rentals (Harness, Helmet, Axe, Crampons)
- Photos of the climb
- Pre and post valley accommodation
- Use of mountaineering boots
- Boots – full-leather, They should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or similar
- Sleeping bag – good to approx. -5 or -10 degrees Celsius
- Sleeping pad – therma-rest style or closed-cell foam
- Backpack – 40-80 litre capacity
- Summit-pack – 20-40 litre capacity (Optional)
- Outer layer jacket with hood – Gore-Tex style
- Light weight outer layer waterproof pants – Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight thermal layers – top & bottom, Polypro, Icebreaker, etc.
- Climbing/hiking pants – nylon, fleece, Schoeller, etc. (1 pair)
- Gloves (medium weight) – wool or poly-pro (2 pair)
- Waterproof gloves or mitts (gloves work best) (2 pairs)
- Warm parka/jacket – down, synthetic, fleece or pile (1)
- Sweater or vest – wool, synthetic, fleece or down (1)
- Socks – wool or synthetic blend (2-3 pairs)
- Toque/warm hat – wool or fleece (1)
- Sunglasses – UV block with good eye coverage (1pr)
- Ski goggles
- Headlamp with new batteries
- Personal 1st aid (blister kit, toothbrush, blister kit, toilet paper, etc.)
- Misc. personal items (camera, journal, etc.)
- Sunscreen – minimum spf45
- Water bottles/hydration system – minimum 1 liters
- Walking pole(s) – Optional but helpful for the approach/descent
- Gaiters (1 pair) – Optional if built in paint gaiters or boot gaiters
Communal equipment: (supplied by Altus if required)
Is this for you?
The number one questions we get from our guest is "are they ready for a multi-pitch?". 99.9% the answer is YES, our guide job is literally to push guests ability. If you have some minimum climbing and eagerness for a day of adventure we can make the day for you!
- Previous rock climbing experience, in the gym or outside
- Have top roped 5.6 as a minimum
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 3 hours
- Can hike 1 hour in gentle uphill terrain
- Likes being outside
Sounds too basic for you? We got you covered, our crew can guide anything from the easiest to nearly the hardest routes in Squamish.
Meet in either Whistler or Squamish depending on where you are staying. We meet for a gear inspection before heading out to the trailhead on the west side of the 99 highway right between Squamish and Whistler BC. We will then spend the whole day in the alpine climbing and return in the afternoon. Typically we will depart 6am and return 4pm.
*Contact us for custom dates, duration and included costs
Tricouni North Ridge is a great objective for any climber with some alpine or rock experience with difficulties to 5.4. The day is anywhere from 8 - 12 hours long so good fitness and the ability to move through hiking and scrambling terrain all day is imperative.
Elevation gain from trailhead: 750m
Climb steepness: 45 - 55 degrees
Rock difficulty: 5.4
Distance (one way): 4.1km
Book a Custom Trip
Custom Date & Duration
June 1- October 1
Personal photographer to capture the trips epic moments.
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!