Lift accessed alpine goodness
Blackcomb Buttress is an unbeatable way to spend a day in Whistler! Let one of our certified ACMG Mountain Guides guide you up the Blackcomb Buttress in Whistler on Blackcomb Peak. Your Mountain Guide will take you on the short walk from the gondola that leads to scenic Blackcomb Lake. From the Blackcomb Lake scramble most of the way up the 200 meter Blackcomb Buttress and rock climb short sections with difficulties up to 5.7. Don’t worry if it is too hard your guide can haul you up. Once on the mountain summit of Blackcomb Peak you will descend the Blackcomb Glacier back to the lifts.
Length: 1 day
Starting point: Whistler, BC.
Summit Elevation: 2425M (7960ft)
Season: June 1 - October 1
Max. Guest to Guide Ratio: 2:1
Style of Climbing: Rock
Cost: Starting at $350 per person
- Guide’s fees
- Group equipment
- All technical gear (excluding mountaineering boots)
- Photos of the climb
- Pre and post valley accommodation
- Use of mountaineering boots
- Lift pass for Whistler Blackcomb
- Boots - full-leather, They should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or similar
- Summit-pack - 10-30 liters capacity
- Outer layer jacket with hood - Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight outer layer waterproof pants - Gore-Tex style
- Lightweight thermal layers - top & bottom, Polypro, Icebreaker, etc.
- Climbing/hiking pants - nylon, fleece, Schoeller, etc.
- Gloves (medium weight) - wool or poly-pro
- Warm parka/jacket - down, synthetic, fleece or pile
- Sweater or vest - wool, synthetic, fleece or down
- Toque/warm hat - wool or fleece
- Sunglasses - UV block with good eye coverage
- Personal 1st aid (blister kit, toothbrush, blister kit, toilet paper, medications, etc.)
- Water bottle - minimum 1 liters
- Walking pole - Optional but helpful for the approach
- Gaiters (1 pair) – Optional if built in paint gaiters or boot gaiters
Communal and Technical equipment: (Supplied by AMG if required):
- Compass and map
- First Aid Kit
- Ice ax and technical climbing tool
- Climbing harness - seat harness only
- 3 locking carabineers
- 1 belay device
- Crampons - adjusted to your boots
- Small "thermos" for hot drinks (optional)
- Tape / Repair kit
- Sunscreen - minimum spf45
Is this for you?
- Previous rock climbing experience, in the gym or outside
- Have top roped 5.6 as a minimum
- Fitness to be moving for a minimum of 6 hours
- Can hike 4 hour in gentle uphill terrain
- Likes being outside
Meet at the Whistler/Blackcomb base 8:00am where we will check gear and go over the day plan. Head up the Seventh Heaven chairlift to Blackcomb Lake. Ascend to the buttress, and return to town for the après beverage of your choice!
*Contact us for custom dates, duration, and included costs
This trip is suitable for the absolute beginner if you have some experience climbing/scrambling and moderate fitness. However, even the experienced mountaineer will enjoy this civilized outing in the mountains.
Elevation gain from lift system: 620m
Climb difficulty: 5.4
Distance (one way): 2.8km
Book a Custom Trip
Custom Date & Duration
June 1- October 1
Still Have Questions or Concerns?
Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions, concerns or requests on how we can make this the best trip ever!!!