Black Tusk is an amazing hiking or mountaineering trip to the top of an impressive summit, that takes you into the wonderful Garibaldi park half way between Whistler and Squamish. To summit Black Tuck easy rock scrabbling is required to reach the summit. Your guide will safely take you up the chimney with ropes, harness and helmet to make it as safe as possible.
For first time, beginners and experienced hikers or mountaineers
Beginning in June – October
(Contact us for custom dates, duration and included costs)
Let us know if you have your own transportation and want to provide your own food.
$1350 per person 1:1 (guide to guest)
$750 per person 1:2 (guide to guest)
One and two day trip options are available.
One day Trip:
Meet your guide at 6am in Squamish or Whistler, then hike the 27km from Rubble Creek parking to summit and back via rock scramble chimney route of Black Tusk.
Two day trip.
Day 1: Meet in your guide in Squamish or Whistler and drive to rubble Creek Parking. Hike to Taylor Meadows and set up camp.
Day 2: Hike to Black Tusk and then scramble to summit via rock chimney.
BLACK TUSK EQUIPMENT LIST
Please contact Altus Mountain Guides for any questions or expert advice on the best equipment to have. Let us know what you need on the list before you purchase any gear. We rent gear or can advise you on the best gear to purchase.
- Stiff Gore-tex hiking shoes or Boots: they should be well broken-in and waterproofed with snow seal or similar if leather
- Sleeping bag – good to approx. -5 or -10 degrees Celsius
- Sleeping pad – therma-rest style or closed-cell foam
- Backpack – 40-50 litre capacity
- Summit-pack – 20 litre capacity (Optional)
- Outer layer jacket with hood – Gore-Tex style
- Light weight outer layer waterproof pants – Gore-Tex style
- Climbing/hiking pants – nylon, Schoeller, etc. (1 pair)
- Gloves (medium weight) – wool or poly-pro
- Warm parka/jacket – down, synthetic, fleece or pile (1)
- Sweater or vest – wool, synthetic, fleece or down (1)
- Socks – wool or synthetic blend
- Toque/warm hat – wool or fleece (1)
- Sunglasses – UV block with good eye coverage (1pr)
- Headlamp with new batteries
- Personal 1st aid (blister kit, toothbrush, blister kit, toilet paper, etc.)
- Misc. personal items (camera, journal, etc.)
- Sunscreen – minimum spf45
- Water bottles/hydration system – minimum 1 liters
- Walking pole(s) – Optional but helpful for the approach/descent
- Gaiters (1 pair) – Optional if built in paint gaiters or boot gaiters
Communal and Technical equipment:
- (Supplied by AMG if required):
- Light weight 2 or 3 person tent
- Single burner stove and fuel
- Cooking sets (2 pots per 3 people)
- First Aid Kit
- Climbing harness – seat harness only
- Knife – Swiss army style
- Personal eating utensils – cup, bowl, spoon
- Tape / Repair kit